Original Paint no clear coat? How to wax/buff

yarbeau

Darth Vader
My 87 GN has the original paint without clearcoat correct?

What products should I use to ensure I do not mess up the paint.

This is what i purchased and plan on using. the three step procedure.

I have clay barred the entire car, man does it look sharp already.

Mothers Ultimate 3 Step Wax System

Theres the link to the products i purchased.

mothers pre wax cleaner
mothers sealer and glazer
mothers Pure carnauba wax

These products combined with a buffer/polisher shouldn't do any damage to the paint in the state it is in (no clearcoat) correct?

just want to make sure before I go ahead and get started.

If your car does in fact still wear its original skin, you should have single stage paint (no clear coat).

Your chosen products are safe to use on single stage paint. However, I would be more concerned with the remaining thickness of your existing paint, which after 24 years, has presumably been polished hundreds of times. By nature of single stage paint, some paint is removed each time you polish and perhaps a little less when waxing.

If you really want to be safe, as a precaution, if you have access to a paint thickness gauge I would see what the remaining thickness is before proceeding. More so if your current paint condition is poor and in need of a lot of correction. Most serious detailers will have one or know someone who has one. The last thing you want is to start seeing primer as you work your paint.

Good luck and be sure to post pics when you're done :biggrin:

If your car does in fact still wear its original skin, you should have single stage paint (no clear coat).

Your chosen products are safe to use on single stage paint. However, I would be more concerned with the remaining thickness of your existing paint, which after 24 years, has presumably been polished hundreds of times. By nature of single stage paint, some paint is removed each time you polish and perhaps a little less when waxing.

If you really want to be safe, as a precaution, if you have access to a paint thickness gauge I would see what the remaining thickness is before proceeding. More so if your current paint condition is poor and in need of a lot of correction. Most serious detailers will have one or know someone who has one. The last thing you want is to start seeing primer as you work your paint.

Good luck and be sure to post pics when you're done :biggrin:
X2 well put

I'm no expert but I do have an 86 with original paint. I clay barred mine and then waxed it. It looks great and has won several trophies. I wouldn't think those first two products will improve on the clay bar. Just wax it and enjoy:)

I thought 84-86 had single stage and 87 had clear coat?

I believe it was right around 1987-1988 that GM made the switch to clear coat.

Far as I know, 87's came with single stage lacquer. I still have the original paint on my 87 and it is definitely single stage.

I'm no expert but I do have an 86 with original paint. I clay barred mine and then waxed it. It looks great and has won several trophies. I wouldn't think those first two products will improve on the clay bar. Just wax it and enjoy:)

You may be right if his paint is in good condition and does not need polishing. But without photos or a description of the current condition its hard to say imo.

I had two cars with single stage paint, one was lacquer the other I believe was acrylic or a urethane paint. I used a product called crystal glo, it's an acrylic polymer. The stuff wore like iron and it provided the type of gloss you get from a carnuba wax except it would last and last and last. I also use this on my GN which is now two stage. Very easy on easy off.