Optimal a/f

robh

Now that WB are reasonably available and I was able to pick up a Innovate unit.
What is the optimal a/f for a turbo car? Is there such a thing:confused:
I am doing only 3rd gear WOT blast and getting high 11's a/f. But using only a butt dyno how do I know if richer is faster or vice versa.
Before using o2 counts .780 was the magic number I tuned to. Just looking for the same thing.
Any help would be appreciated.

Well, for forced induction engines, it's generally accepted that something around 12:1 is a good starting point. It may be required to go slightly richer (into the high 11:1's) but it all comes down to what your combo likes.
BTW, using a butt dyno for tuning is not exactly a safe methodl. It's good to dig out driveability issues but not changes in WOT tuning.

There is no magic number. Every car is different. But, I would say that if you're pushing near 12.5-12.7:1 at WOT, you may be getting dangerously lean.

A good EGT would help keep an eye on things, as well as a knock indicator of some sort.

??????????

At 25#, and WFO, I have my FAST set to a commanded ratio of 11.5... Made well over 800FWHP w/ it, and the engine appears to be "happy".:cool:

I took my portable WB to the Nats, and hooked it up to +6 different cars. For the guys running in the 10s, seemed to run from 11.3 to 10.5. Was pretty warm, and humid so that needs taken into account.

Thanks for the replys.
It looks like any where in the 11's is fine. So I will shoot for that and possibly richen until performance loss for safety.
thanks