Optima red-top batteries...

I thought my Optima crapped out on me and when I brought it back to Pep boys they just gave me a new one with no questions asked. I had no receipt either. It was well over a year. I was impressed. Found out later that the battery was not the issue (Well, my buddy Otto found out what the problem was, not me) but nevertheless they replaced it with no questions asked. I think they have a 1.5 yr. warranty on them.

They dont spill or corrode. They are kinda pricey tho. I think I paid $160 or so. But id get another if I actually had a car to put one in.....:mad:

Others don't care for them tho. Not really sure why.

For the money I don't think they're worth it. The only good thing about them is they're safer than other types of car batteries in which the acid is usually contained and has less of a chance of getting on you.

I'm done with Optimas.Last year replaced 3 redtops in my SS.Its true that they will replace the battery without any questions asked but i just got tired of replacing it.I went to Autozone and got a Duralast Gold and have not had any problems since.A friend of mine that works at an audio shop said that he's replace more than 10 red and yellow tops recently also.

DURALAST GOLD battieries are manufactured by Johnson Controlls. They are very well made batteries and can be bought with almost the same CCA's (cold cranking amps) as a red top. We retail red tops here in SLC and they are not what they are cracked up to be. once more I have had a few occasions where even though the battery is under warranty Optima wouldnt take them back.

The Optima Red is a piece of ****. The Optima Yellow is good.

I have a pile of Red's here that have gone bad.

Got two perfect yellows had one bad redtop.

One yellow is going on 12 years now. :eek:

And since it was 1 degree out last night, I think I'll go for a drive to charge it up. :biggrin:

Nothing but good experiences

I have been using both Red and Yellow for quite a few years now. I think I got my first yellow back in 2000 or 2001. It just recently started to give me problems in the Northeastern winter, so I replaced it. I would say definetly worth the money. I have reds in everything else that I own, and have had one go bad. I equated the problem to a continual overcharging from a cheap tender/charger. That battery was over 3 years old when I returned it and was given a new one at a prorated charge of 40 bucks from Autozone. I didn't even buy it there, but the date code was good enough for them to get the deal.

The yellow top in my DD gets lots of abuse. Heavy wattage stereo, lots of electronics, winch, off road lights, on-board Windows computer system that is in standby when the car is not running, heated seats, navigation system, etc. With the original yellow that lasted 8ish years I must have drained it flat over 150 times. I would charge it back up with no problems. I have never had a battery take that kind of abuse.

Red Tops

I have had a few with good results. I just returned one to the store where purchased (had the receipt) and it was 2 days short of three years. Replaced it at no cost. My only complaint is it does not fit our battery tray and hold down... need to make a modification there.
But... it is like anything I suppose, excellent for some, piece of crap for another!