Oppions on my comp cam lifters. NOT ASKING ABOUT CLICKING NOISE.

toolguy874.1

I have Comp Cam roller lifters.
I have engine out of car to do,cleaning powder coating, and general engine inspection.

I am looking at lifter. The stud that holds washer and tie bar ,looks to be coming loose? It has a sharp burr.

I can't image that comp would ship lifter like that?
20160529_165219.jpg

Is this common for lifters to look like this? I'm sure I only have 3000 miles on engine and 15, 1/4 mile passes.

Looks like the lifter was out of location when the rivet was peened.
I'd wonder where the other 1/2 of the material is....If there ever was another 1/2.
HO Chi Min didn't have his glasses on, when he stamped that lifter....

IMO Comp Cams does a good job grinding camshafts.

Anything else is a crapshoot from them.....lifters that have issues,
push rods you get from them that are full of junk inside,
Like Jerryl said, in the end you are final QC inspector and it does not surprise
me that they would send out a lifter set that the peen on the tie bar buttons is sub standard.

Who knows where these parts are being made at, where the emphasis is on quantity not quality?

But would you continue to run them?

These lifters are 15 years old if that makes a difference of where manufactured?
I had engine built by Folwer Engines in Columbus. So I don't remember what they looked like when new.

If you take them out and stress test them by putting a twisting load on the link bar buttons....
you want to see if there is any movement between the button and the pin that is peened over.

If there is wiggle movement between the pin and the button i would consider replacing it.
IF it is rock solid tight you are likely good to go.

If you are in need of a replacement set of rollers i have an old set of 5 853's from around 1999.
One of the set got taken out by a broken rod. I could send you one.
LMK

So I pulled it apart.
Tested all lifters. All the washer are very tight. Can not move washers on front or back of tie bar. No flex.
Went to local engine shop to pick up gaskets.
He looked them over. AND seemed very confident, of no problems in future.

No reply from Comp cams after I spoke with them and then sent email with pictures, they requested.

Thanks for help.

So I pulled it apart.
Tested all lifters. All the washer are very tight. Can not move washers on front or back of tie bar. No flex.
Went to local engine shop to pick up gaskets.
He looked them over. AND seemed very confident, of no problems in future.

No reply from Comp cams after I spoke with them and then sent email with pictures, they requested.

Thanks for help.

Since everything is good and tight and had likely been that way for some time I would pug it back together and run it.

'For some time'' really doesn't mean much with only 3K miles on them.

If you feel good about running them, I'd recommend a magnetic drain plug and a few rare earth magnets all over the oil filter.

'the engine you save might be your own'