Engine ticking noise

Walt Skarb

I have a ticking noise coming from around #1 cylinder. I have a flat tappet Comp cam with comp lifters. Engine has about 3000 miles since rebuild and runs fine. clicking noise disappears when injector for #1 cylinder is disconnected and also when #1 plug wire is pulled. Pushrods, rocker arm assy look ok. Would the noise disappear if it was an exhaust leak? I am trying to save some work but I suspect bad lifter.

Couple years ago I had the exact same thing including the mileage & on #1 as well. Happened that a rod bearing got slightly pancaked from some detonation. Altho mine sounded closer to a marble in the motor & was its loudest at 2200 rpm. before or after it was quieter. Hope yours is just a lifter.

As the noise stops when you remove combustion from that cylinder; it makes me think it’s not a lifter.

engine ticking niose

Thanks for the information. Something else to c/o. Today the ticking is getting louder and seems to be galoping at times. Noise disappears as rpm are increased. Stethoscope seems to indicate noise is coming from topside although I can't pinpoint it. Plan on pulling header to check for crack or leak at gasket. Will probally pull pan and c/o #1 cyl. rod bearing after that.