opinions wanted on going from stock heads to Champ Irons on a low 12 sec GN?

Quick6

I am thinking upgrading to Champ Irons from stock unported heads? Who has done this and what were your gains and impressions? Any downsides to this, like losing any low end torque, what about when you are not under boost? does it affect drivability??
Also do most just do the head change without pulling the motor? or did you pull it? Thanks for any help or input!!:D

I think your money could be better spent elsewhere (on a low 12 sec car). Turbo, injectors, convertor, intercooler.

Originally posted by J Banning
I think your money could be better spent elsewhere (on a low 12 sec car). Turbo, injectors, convertor, intercooler.

I agree. You can go mid 11s with stockers.

Agree with Banning above.

If you absolutely "just gotta have" some better heads in the price range of fresh Champion irons, you really might want a set of the new TA aluminum heads for a few hundred more.

In addition to their better flow, aluminum heads also seem to return most of their original cost, & sell quickly, if ever re-sold.

HTH :)

Yeah, juce, juce, juce. Oh I can not wait till the Buick is back together. He he he he.:D :D

I was told when I bought my TA49 that fully ported heads could be too much with a small turbo and could lead to compressor surge.

Quite a few have stated in this forum a preference to just pull the motor and be able to work on it easier. Many others just do it with motor in car, as am I. I am going with econo ported stock valve heads. All I really need for a stock or other low lift cam.

HTH,
Tom

A compressor is more likely to surge without ported heads. Ported heads have the effects of reducing boost and increasing air flow - both move the compressor stage away from the surge line...

BTW, ported heads are good anytime. The stock heads are corks. Think of ported heads like you think of a good fuel pump - they're a good base to take off from regardless of the remainder of your mods...

:)

stocker's till mid 11s !!!! even complete stock motors till mid 11s or lower...do the stupid junk an leave it alone :p low 12's are a walk in the park

Ken went from high 11's to mid to low 11's with Ruggles heads & 3000 rpm 9" converter & 009's. Lots of $$$ for .5 improvement.

a few years back i was running 12.2 at 111-112, changed nothing but champion irons and bigger squirters and gained 5 mph. anything that helps flow is money well spent in my book.

Go with 50 lbs injectors and a larger intercooler first.In the 1/8 I ran 7.41 @ 97 mph with ported irons,te 44,50s,v4,d-5 and nittos 1.89 60 ft time.I had a te 52 and 9 inch ,champ aluminum heads before and ran 7.teens with 1.70 60s, this car has a stock cammed 100k mortor in it.Car was a handfull on the street.The car now has ported irons a 44,stock intercooler and stock injectors,think I will run out of fuel?Point is,heads will help greatly as long as you have enough fuel.