Opinion on an flee bay deal

bob86gn

I bought a set of car seats using buy it now and there was a shipping price of $41.95 for ups shipping. I pay immediately for the seats and the shipping but don't hear anything for a day so I send an email through the system and the guys responds that he is trying to get the actual shipping cost and when he gets it he will send it through so I can pay it and then he will ship the seats. I explain that nowhere in his add does it say anything except the $41.95 for shipping which I paid. He tells me it is actually $97 and he wants me to pay the difference. He blames fleebay for autocalculating the cost. The seats were expensive and are well above the magnitude of the shipping costs. Do you guys think I should pay the difference?

No! If that is the price that he listed for shipping, that is what you should expect to pay. Unless this is something you really need, then I would have the seller at least pay for half if not the all the costs of the extra shipping if he wants to keep you happy and have good feedback. I don't sell alot on EBay, but I make sure that my shipping charges are correct before I post, It's not because of Ebay's autocalculator.

If you want the seats pay it if not you can leave neg feedback. I have been stuck with that problem before.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it. My issue is the seats were expensive and I used BIN instead of going the bid way.
I, of course, want to hear that it is his issue. I am not sure why it should be all my issue either.

I would say it is his problem. He should have had the shipping properly quoted before listing. However, if he wants to be a tool, he might not ship without you paying and your stuck trying to get your money back.

I'd tell him you paid for an item with an advertised, specific shipping cost. I'd tell him to send it as advertised or refund your money. Tell him to get the shipping difference from Ebay if it's their mistake. It's not your fault.

Just playing devil's advocate here...
I'm the first to complain about inflated shipping prices but didn't you think that $40 to ship some seats was really too good to be true? I shipped a pair of quarter windows yesterday and it ran me $28!~ (and that's two little windows). I'm all for people honoring their listed prices but I wonder if it's unreasonable to expect a seller to eat "actual" shipping expenses. $90 or so to ship some seats sounds about right. I guess worst case scenario you could tell him to forget it and get your money back and he can try to re-sell...

Maybe offer to split the difference if you want to be diplomatic about it.

I think the seller should honor his Ad though.

~JM~

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it. My issue is the seats were expensive and I used BIN instead of going the bid way.
I, of course, want to hear that it is his issue. I am not sure why it should be all my issue either.
What was the difference between the starting bid and the buy it now price? If it was more than the shipping then protest it because he's making more than the starting bid to begin with.

Doubt you'll get them otherwise, if you got them at a great price, maybe pay the shipping. You mentioned they were expensive seat, 'well above the magnitude of the shipping cost'. If not, tell him to refund your money, and trust me as an ebay seller, you'll get your money back - bidder always has the upper hand if you went paypal. As was said, you know shipping was way too low. Sure he should of double checked, but I don't think you're going to get them at that price. He'll simply not ship them I would guess. Ask for proof of shipping cost.

You can contact EBAY and they might be able to help you. I've sold lot's of things on EBAY and purposely had cheap shipping costs to make the item look better. I've even offered FREE shipping in a Buy It Now sale. I've never asked for more after the sale. That's a little shady. I wouldn't buy them.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I sent him another email and said the following:
"This is a weird situation. I have seen other things for sale (rims for example) that list +$120 for shipping or a note that says buyer pays actual shipping.
I don't want you to be upside down on the deal and definitely want the seats and have already paid over 40% of the shipping costs.
On the same note, I was surprised by your request since it seemed that I already paid the shipping and the auto price issue is now my problem.
At this point, you have my $X,XXX and the seats and would like me to pay another $56 to get them.
Not going to lie to you that feels bad to me. - bob86gn"

He replied "Hi - I hear you. Don't worry about the payment. It is just irritating that EBAY plugs the shipping costs. This has happened to me before. I am going to call EBAY and complain and see if I can avoid this
happening again. A friend of mine has the package for drop off to UPS. He said late today or early tommorow. They may have already shipped for all I know. Thanks"

So I guess all is well that ends well. Now I just have to wait and see if I get the seats...