Opinion / History on eBay car

jshilli1

I was looking at the following car on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2408529361

The price seems good and the car seems good (depending on the reserve of course, I think probably around 5k).

However, a couple of things strike me as funny-

#1 The guy says he's owned it two years. If you look at his feedback, it says "Hope you enjoy the GN" on a transaction that took place 4/2002. Maybe my math skills suck, but thats a year. Maybe he has two?

#2 The mileage reported is 65,689. I pulled the carfax and it shows mileage of 65,608 on 4/27/1990. So while it is entirely possible the car has only been driven 81 miles in the last 13 years or has made 324 1/4 mile passes, I don't think it likely. Then again, Carfax isn't exactly reliable either.

Does anyone recognize the car or know anything else about it?

With the rust and paint cracking, it must have sat outside for those 10 years. Rust would scare me off, but then again, I guess it can be repaired. Just gotta be careful,...you can get upside down real fast restoring these cars (financially I mean;) )

I doubt the mileage is right, and would assume it's not. Not that I worry about mileage anyway, I'd rather have a car with 100,000 well cared for and maintained miles than one that was ragged on for 40,000. To me mileage is irrelevant, but that's just my opinion.

Copies of registration (if he's willing to supply them) or of the title should show when the record of ownership transferred. BUT, does owning it one or two years really make a difference?

I agree about rust, I'll NEVER own a rusted car. Too much of a pain in the ass (for us non-body work guys).

If you're interested, ask him for his number and talk to him.

Have you looked at the For sale section here?

There are a couple similar cars here....without the inconsistancies. Remember Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz....She said something about looking in her own back yard ;)

if you look at the picture of the odometer, the middle #6 is sitting higher than the rest, which leads me to believe that the car has over 100K on it-

Thanks.

I have decided to pass on this car, unless the price is well, what I have already bid (under the reserve).

I appreciate all the comments on mileage, etc. I am not really concerned with mileage- of course a car with records and receipts cannot be beat- but mileage is a good indicator of honesty of the owner.

As for rust, I have gone through a car with floorpan replacement and its not really that bad if you have the $ to have someone do it right.