Opinion, don't laugh! GN drive train in a Chevette.

A guy I work with here (who is also a neighbor at home) is doing one in a late 80's RX-7. He says he's researched it, it has been done before, and it's pretty easy. He said you can pick up RX-7's in that body style with a bad motor or no motor pretty cheap. I drove by yesterday and he already had 2 of them. I would think that something like this would get more attention from the import/sport compact guys. It has a longer wheel base, too. I've seen a small block powered Chevette roll at the top of the track here in Tulsa before when the rear end locked up and the driver lost control. Short wheel base = scary!

And, of course, there is at least one Opel GT with a stage II motor and it runs in the low 8's/ high 7's. Awsome car and what a show! http://community.webshots.com/photo/98364061/98388071YEmmVw

I saw a guy at Ubly running a BBC Chevette in the 10's. Of course the front seats were gone and he was sitting in the back.

You should be relatively safe with a full cage. I wouldnt think about doing this without one.

I want to see someone put an LC2 in one of those 3 foot wide LeCar's. That would be friggin awesome. :cool:

Me likey:D But a Gremlin. Me likey more. And a model 20 AMC rear would hold the power. Well , for a few passes anyway. No kidding, there is tons of room under their hoods. Wheel base, scary. And dont know if it would be in small class. good luck

Originally posted by ThikStik
Me likey:D But a Gremlin. Me likey more. And a model 20 AMC rear would hold the power. Well , for a few passes anyway. No kidding, there is tons of room under their hoods. Wheel base, scary. And dont know if it would be in small class. good luck

In the mid 70's I raced a 401 Gremlin in the Lincoln tunnel (I was on my first date with my soon to be wife). I had a low 11 sec. 340 Dart and he kicked my ass however he was very close to being out of control.
Also many years ago, the guy that did my roll bar had a Chevette with a BBC engine and the front seat moved back. I think he was written up in Car Craft and the car was used on the street as well as the track (ran low 10's)
Jeff