Only runs with up pipe disconnected???

philosobrad

So, after installing the new 009's and TT chip.......the car wouldn't start.

I reset the IAC and set the TPS with Fluke meter and it started after mucho cranking.

In checking for compromised hoses and vacuum leaks while the struggled to idle, I pulled the up pipe and she magically settled into a great strong idle. And here's where things get weird. With the up pipe OFF completely, if you get the flat of your palm within an inch of the outlet of the intercooler.....the car immediately goes back to idling poorly and dies. Why?

If I attempt to put the up pipe back onto the intercooler with the car running....it stumbles horribly and "almost" dies. What gives?

I've let the car sit and cool to see how well it would crank and start. With the up pipe completely off the car....it starts GREAT.

With the up pipe in place, however.........hard to start and will barely idle.

I still don't understand why the car will sputter and die if you cover only the intercooler outlet with the up pipe off the car.

Are you sure that you have the correct chip for the injectors, or the right injectors for that chip? It sounds like it needs more air than the closed system can deliver.

It could also be an injector that is stuck open.

Did you disconnect the orange wire going to the ECM and reconnect it to allow the computer to relearn the requirements for the new combo?

Are you sure that you have the correct chip for the injectors, or the right injectors for that chip? It sounds like it needs more air than the closed system can deliver.

It could also be an injector that is stuck open.

Did you disconnect the orange wire going to the ECM and reconnect it to allow the computer to relearn the requirements for the new combo?

+1

Another interesting note...........the A/F gauge goes from 13.8 at idle with the up pipe off........to 17-18 connected at idle!

Connect the up pipe.. and disconnect the MAF sensor.. see if it runs the same as with the pipe off.

Update......after letting it try and idle for a while, it's leveled out, but idling high. Easing it down the street with everything hooked up.....it stumbles just off idle in gear.......runs GOOD briefly at quarter throttle......anything over that it just falls on its face.

Shtupid aftermarket new MAF.

I have a Powerlogger setup on the way........As a new TR owner, I'd have to say this should have been my FIRST investment.