On demand Alky - How to achieve?

Razor,

As an example, I looked at the actuators on Cotton's website. They show an HD actuator with a range of 18-30 psi (as you mentioned), and a standard actuator with a range of 12-22 psi.

So does that mean that if I want a minimum boost setting of 12-14 psi, I can't get a max boost setting of anything above 22 psi? And if I want a max boost setting over 22 psi, I have to accept a minimum boost setting of 18 psi? So min 12 max 24 is not possible? This is also assuming a stock turbo, or maybe a TA49.

Thanks,
Ira

I run the bstC with one WG solenoid, standard actuator, and have 7 lbs PSI range adjustibility. Two WG solenoids should give you 14 PSI range at low and hogh settings from your baseline boost setting. I have mine adjusted at 17 lbs at lowest counterclockwise knob setting and it hits 24-25 PSI at full clockwise knob twist. Sorry, have never run the two solenoid set up so can't help there but I know others have.

So is it correct to say that using double solenoids just gives the BstC controller the "full range" capabilities of the wastegate actuator being used? With a standard actuator and dual solenoids, the BstC can give you control between 10# and 22# (but not higher), and with a HD actuator and dual solenoids, the BstC can give you control between 18# and 30# (but not lower)?

If ther above is true, is there any way to "slide" the range of a standard adjustable actuator up a bit (to maybe 14# to 26#) or a HD actuator down a bit? Is there a spring that can be replaced with a stronger/weaker spring that will shift the range?

Still trying to understand this stuff.

Thanks,
Ira

Every car is different. And you play with the tension on the actuator by adding/subtracting tension.

Understand the HD cannot be brought lower. Period. The stocker can be brought higher easier by simply shortening the rod.

Bottom line you play with your own setup and the results are what they are.

These boost controllers are not feedback type, so you may not get the regulation you desire. Meaning they only pulse the solenoid X amount of times to get you a desired boost level. But have no way to control creeping. That is why fancier aftermarket controllers rely on using a MAP sensor to regulate the target.

The problem with the net is while one person may achieve satisfactory results to justify their means.. not all results or methods are going to satisfy 100% of the users. This is why there are boost controllers that can cost upwards of 1K.