Old Gen 6 Seq. Dfi

ANT2

I purchased a old gen 6 seq. dfi several years ago and I'm clueless even after reading the manual several times. It was originaly programed for 55# and I'm switching to 83#. Does anybody have a program I could use as I just put together a Stage II on center and I don't want to destroy the new motor with fuel wash down. Ant assisatnce would be appreciated.
:confused:

You really need a wideband o2 to tune the older systems. Also camshaft size, cyl head flow , cid, turbo size all effect the base fuel map. So taking a program from another car with 83's may not work well with a stage 2 motor becuase of the huge diffrences in airflow, even at idle. I will work on something for you, but it may still be to lean to run or start even cold.

Here is something to try, but becareful not sure how its going to react! YOu would have to see if it goes lean with your wideband before you get to aggressive with the boost.

Unzip the file into your unvrsl directory in calmap. If you unsure how pm me.

Attachments

• BETA83.zip
    653 bytes · Views: 58
Hey norbs, can you upgrade the older DFI boxes for high imp injectors?
Sorry to hijack this thread ANT2. :redface:

All the dfi boxes can work with hi impedance injectors, they don't need anything. Also i have never seen one fail from using low impedance injectors either, unless you had a short circuit.

norbs said:
All the dfi boxes can work with hi impedance injectors, they don't need anything. Also i have never seen one fail from using low impedance injectors either, unless you had a short circuit.

Oops, meant to say low imp. I know it works but the box gets very warm. :) So the drivers can't be changed out? Thanks.

IF your usiing a batch box it has already the heavy duty drivers in it but, they actually do two injectors at once. Only thing oyu could go is with a VIC controller as it has one driver per injector.

Don't waste your time modifying a Gen 6 like this.

The injector drivers inside a Gen 6 are quite capable of running high or low impedance injectors. The problem with the Gen 6 is that the unit doesn't capably dissipate the heat that is generated under continuous high duty cycle operation. When I worked at DFI I tested lots of Gen 6 units that were returned for service. The test fixture there uses a wet-flow bench with a set of low-impedance injectors. If I set the unit to run at anything over about 40% duty cycle, within a minute or two it would be too hot to touch. Obviously this could lead to problems after a while.

The Gen 6 uses the exact same injector drivers that the older FAST units used for years. The primary differences with respect to this issue are that the FAST unit used 8 drivers instead of 4, and the enclosure was much more capable of dissipating heat. I didn't need to replace too many injector drivers at DFI, but in 4 1/2 years at FAST, I never had to replace a single one.

Don't get too worked up about 1 injector per driver vs. 2 injectors per driver. It makes no difference to the driver in terms of power dissipation. The driver regulates output current to 1 amp, regardless of whether you have 1 injector connected or 50. Of course only having four drivers prevents the possibility of running sequential injection on anything over 4 cylinders, but the Gen 6 is a batch-fire unit by design anyway so that is a moot point.

All in all I would say don't sink money into a Gen 6 trying to make it something it will never be. Newer systems offer much more than the Gen 6, and if you are intent on spending money for better performance, replacing the Gen 6 entirely is the only solution in my opinion. I don't love every single thing about the Gen 7, but I really like the new version of CalMap.

Thanks for the info guys! I really don't want to sink any money into it, just a preventive thing if it could have been done.

WHat kind of duty cycle are you ruinng and? How long are you driving at high boost/rpm? that th ecm is getting smokin hot?