OK well here's the deal..(For those of you who have heard of my problems..)

Black1986Beast

No!! It's NOT A Monte!!!
OK, I haven't reported back to you guys in a while.. But as some of you know my trans decided to stop shifting out of 1st gear a few weeks ago..we tried adjusting cables and stuff like that..no luck.
A few days later my friend (who works at the shop I went to) ordered me a trans for the car ($300 from a junkyard place) but it's out of some kinda Cadillac.
So when the guy dropped off he said bla bla bla you'll have all of your power but it's gonna shift differently.
So basically my friend was saying that you cant hold a full throttle shift..or else it wont shift cuz that's the way this trans is.
Well he still has the car cuz he has to mess around with the cable because the car wont go into park (he knows how to fix this but he hasnt had the time).
So anyway I went there to drive it today and I dont like it at all...it doesnt seem as fast and like I said you cant hold it even at 3/4 throttle cause it wont shift, you HAVE to let off for it to shift.
I believe there's a 30 day warranty on this trans so I guess if I dont want it or somethin I can get my money back.
Any place I can get a REAL 200r4 for a decent price????? (decent meaning under $600 or so?
By the way..some of you were questioning my trans that was originally in the car, well I looked at it and there's a little badge on it that says "Turbo Hydromatic" now..these car's didnt come with this kinda trans, right?? So obviously that was a problem from the start..but as of now I dont know how much this trans will de-value my car if I chose to sell it. But if I cant get a REAL GN trans then I dont want this car.
Does anyone have ANY ideas?? This is really startin to bother me..Thanks for any help.

I had the same problem...

Non-GN trans in my '87 GN. I found an '85 BR code GN tranny for sale in Austin (~2-1/2 hours drive from where I live) for sale in the Parts for Sale Forum here. Called the guy, drove up, bought it. It's not a correct '87 BRF, but the car drives fine now, like it should, and since my car has other non-original parts I don't really care about the code on it.
BUT, in the course of looking for a tranny I have seen several BRFs advertised on the Parts for Sale Forum, mostly with reasonable prices. I only paid $200 for mine, and it was bolt-in and go (Thanks Kevin!), except for a couple dumb things I screwed up during installation.
So, check the for sale forum and you should find what you need in short order.
Jeff

These cars are picky when it comes to tranny's...I have heard ton's of stories about them failing in "X" amount of miles because the person who rebuilt it did not know what they were doing.

I would take the trans back, and talk to Bruce at PTS.

He can build you a tranny that will not only shift at WOT, but it will also chirp the tires on command! Granted his tranny's may not be the $300 you paid, but once you buy one of his tranny's it is an investment, and it will hold up. He is a great guy to do business with, and cares about his customers to the highest degree! He is not happy unless you are!

Dont I need a 200r4 tranny?? What should I search for?
I just want this car to be normal..that seems to be too much for anyone in my family to ask for..my bro, sis or myself have no exactly had great luck w/our cars..

Yes you need a 200r4 tranny. Call Bruce and talk to him man, I don't think you could go wrong there. Can't hurt to talk to him.

I ended up buying a low mileage BRF trans here on the board for $600'ish. Best $600 I've spet thus far. The tranny that came in my car was out of a caddy and it S U C K E D!! :mad:

im pretty sure its not just a200r4 . its different for a turbo car.
when i had mine rebuilt my tranny guy told me he couldnt just
put in another rebuilt 200r4 tranny . had to use original casing
i think for it to work proper. you should look into this.
charlloots
we4

The case doesn't matter...

It's the guts that count on the BRFs and other turbo trannys. BUT, if you're going to replace it you might as well get the right one to start with, cuz replacing the valve body, servo, governor, etc is probably more expensive than just getting the right one to start with. That's why I bought a used BR instead of rebuilding my non-turbo trans. Way cheaper in the long run.
Jeff

black 1986 beast- eric shurtz the guy from long island that does jack cottons transmissions will be moving to manville very shortly like in a week or two-he will be in fred vetters old place just off 287 north of you-i believe hes been doing freds trans also for awhile-a street and strip rebuild is like $1000.00 and i think it might be the way for you to go,in the long run you should be much happier-matt

I don't know a lot about tranny's but I do know this. The tranny in a GN is not a run of the mill 200R4. It is a BRF 200r4. I believe the only difference is the valve body and governer. I think you can get a Valve body and governer combo from Art Carr that will make a regular 200r4 shift like a BRF tranny. HTH

Sully

I got a valve body, governor, and servo (don't forget the servo!!) from Poston for about $300. It's in their catalog. never installed it, turned out the non-Turbo tranny was slipping badly anyway, so I just bought the BQ I described above. Art Carr may have the same kind of stuff, but make sure you get all three parts (valve body, servo, and governor) or you may still have problems.
Jeff

Alright!! Well I found a trans in the parts for sale section and I called up the guy.
It's a 200r4 BRF code trans w/the stock D5 converter.
It was pulled out of a wrecked '87 GN that had 42,000 original miles and worked perfect when pulled. The only problem is that he noticed when he took the converter off that the stator support was worn. So other than that it's a bolt-in-and-go deal for $400.
It's only 1.5hrs away and I plan on possibly getting it on Sat.
Also it doesnt matter if it's out of an '87 and mine's and '86 right? I'm pretty sure they're all the same.

No Problem!

I bolted the '85 tranny right up to my '87, and the one you're looking at is a BRF so they should be identical.
Congrats on the find!
Jeff

Ok well I ordered a hardened stator support from cottons for $40 plus shipping..not bad I guess.
Let's just hope this all goes according to plan. I know I'll be keepin my fingers crossed!

Blackbeast,
Might try checking the plastic governer gear on the old trans-when they break there is no upshift. Anyway seems you got it covered with a replacement.

Update:

We installed the replacement '87 GN trans with the new hardened stator support..
WELL my friend that installed it and drove it said that it holds 1st gear too long, it won't shift into 3rd, AND the torque converter locks up when the car stops.
Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.
I really need my car..and this is really starting to aggrivate me..I havent had it in over a month and now that my brother is goin to school I need my car to get to work, cause I've been using his.
If worst comes to worst Im gonna have to put his GN back on insurance to hold me over..but I REALLY want my car back!! :( :( :(

Use governer from your old trans to change shift timing, or try less TV. Look for a pinched wire (Ground) past the lokup solenoid.
or disable powere to lokup circuit and drive it until youve got time.