OK....I'm officially LOST. HELP!!!!!

Pick

Still Trying......
OK, I finally took the time to plug in the computer to TRY to figure out where to start on my '83T.....it has been sitting TOO long. (that's problem #1, I'm sure)

So......the MAClogic (made by OTC) computer had this to tell me.

Baro(metric Pressure) - 29 iHG (never changed)
Baro Volts - 4.48 (never changed)
CCPurge - On
Early Fuel - Off
EGR - Off
ISC DIR - REV
Knock Retard - 0 degrees (never changed even if I tried)
Loop Start - Closed
Low ODO - EXP
M/C Dwell - 6 degrees
MAP - 16 iHG (never changed)
MAP volts - 2.28 (never changed)
Nose SW - Off
O2 Cross - 0 to 4 (changed briefly when I let off the gas once)
O2 State - RICH (never changed)
O2 Volts - .77 to .88 (observed through multiple throttle changes)
TPS - 5.0 Volts (never changed with throttle movement)
WOT - On (never changed)

And.....for some unknown reason, it isn't throwing any codes out.

I included anything that I knew you might need to know (or if I didn't have a clue what it meant....)

I can already tell that my TPS is dead.......and that the knock sensor may also be dead. (I didn't try a hammer....my arms aren't that long.)

Black, sooty smoke (I know, WAY rich) was a common sight when I got on it and when I first backed off.

The reason it got parked in the first place was a failed emissions test with readings as follows:

HC-ppm 154 (152 allowable) - Failed
CO% 7.06 (0.97 allowable) - Failed
NO ppm 72 (1082 allowable) - Passed
CO+Co2% 17.8 Passed

So......ANY advice you can give me is very much needed and VERY much apppreciated.

Originally posted by Pick
O2 State - RICH (never changed)
O2 Volts - .77 to .88 (observed through multiple throttle changes)
TPS - 5.0 Volts (never changed with throttle movement)
WOT - On (never changed)

And.....for some unknown reason, it isn't throwing any codes out.

I included anything that I knew you might need to know (or if I didn't have a clue what it meant....)

I can already tell that my TPS is dead.......and that the knock sensor may also be dead. (I didn't try a hammer....my arms aren't that long.)

Black, sooty smoke (I know, WAY rich) was a common sight when I got on it and when I first backed off.

Did you work on the carb or have some ine else work on it?

TPS should read 1.20 at idle...this worked good for me.
Your number one problem right now is the TPS. It's either installed wrong (I did this,very tricky) or not working (Ihad this too)
I have a spare carb, It just needs a airhorn gasket. We can give it a try to see if that is the problem. Let me know if you can stop by.
Jim

I think you're right, it's the TPS. The TPS is reading as high as possible which could mean it's stuck fully down or the spring underneath it is collapsed. The TPS at 5.0 triggers the WOT ON, which tell the ECM to richen the mixture. The rich mixture explains the high HC and high CO (lack of oxygen to form CO2)

The BARO sensor won't change, but the MAP should as engine vacuum changes. Check to hoses from the compressor foot to the MAP, boost swicth and wastegate actuator.

It good to see someone else is using a scan tool. :)

I waiting for turbolink V3.0....It's going to read vin 3 and later 8
have the laptop....just waiting :)

THANKS Jim and Rich! I wasn't seeing the big picture of how the TPS would be affecting everything..........I guess it is a case where I expected to find one thing and just got thrown off when I found something totally different. (the TPS never entered my mind.)

Anyway......as far as the carb goes, I haven't ever done anything except hose it down with spray carb cleaner.....it was really dirty when I bought the car from the original owner. According to him, the only thing that had been done under the hood was to replace the turbo about 60k miles ago after it blew the oil seal.

I really appreciate the help!

The scan tool is great, but it sometimes causes information overload for my tiny little mind! :)

The TPS can be replaced with the carb on the car. All you need is the top seal, carb shop should have one ($5) the Auto stores will only have rebuild kits and they do not come with a new TPS spring. You can ordered them online thru unlimitedcarb or is that Carbunlimited...they are based in Seattle.
Jim

Thanks Jim. Pep Boys had the TPS in stock, so I grabbed one during lunch and it's sitting here on my desk. (complete with a new plunger, spring, checkball, and plug to cover the adjustment screw.........but no gasket...........I didn't even think about it. DOH!)

The tiny little installation instructions that came with the TPS say that our cars are supposed to be set at .77 volts at idle.......did you have to re-adjust yours after changing rods and hangars or does it seem to just be a better voltage value to use all around?

My TPS ajustment does not have a plug in it, my spare does :( it's a pain to get out. I need to pickup a dremel tool or zip tool to clean it out.
I'm not sure which setting is better yet...my car went down hill and has been setting in the shop.
And no you don't have to change the settings when you change the hanger & rods...just small adjustments at the track to improve E.T
I will find out soon...timing gears are in :)

Originally posted by Ttype83
I waiting for turbolink V3.0....It's going to read vin 3 and later 8
have the laptop....just waiting :)

This would be great. But VIN 3 as in 81/82 Turbo V6 or VIN 3 as in the later 86/88 EFI V6? Carb engines would be great, but the ECM's laugauge is different.

Originally posted by b4black
But VIN 3 as in 81/82 Turbo V6 or VIN 3 as in the later 86/88 EFI V6? Carb engines would be great, but the ECM's laugauge is different.
I'm not sure which vin3 :confused:
I saw it on the web site and asked about vin 8....he said that they will be adding more after the release.
I said that I would be more than happy to beta test :D