OK guys listen to this

wv-t

What in the world is this sound that my bone stock 86 t type is making under boost? Sounds like an air raid siren. Listen -

Please don't tell me my turbo's shot. Well, do tell me if it is, but I'm not going to like it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

sounds like the inducer wheel is scraping the housing or a hose has come off or has a hole in. take the hose off and check for play and look for marks were its been hitting.no since in sending unwanted metal into your oiling system

My '86 does exactly the same thing and I haven't been able to find a problem. I do know that the guy who owned the car before me had the turbo rebuilt and installed a bigger compressor wheel and opened up the inlet air slot on the compr. side before I got the car. I've been thinking about changing the turbo, since I have another rebuilt one that came with my GN and see if makes a difference.
John

Maybe it's a REAL air raid! Check the skies for Migs or Zeros with red dots on them....:p You never know, you know?

Bruce '87 Grand National

sorry but had a good laugh .,,never heard anything like that...sorry I can't add anything but im gonna watch that again..lol
gosh that was funnier the second time around.

First pull the MAF pipe and the downpipe/elbow and MAKE SURE you're not touching the housing with the wheels!!!

It almost sounds like a reed resonating. Like a coupler that sees boost is flapping in the wind. Check the plenum gasket, and all hoses/clamps to make sure you don't literally have an intake whistle.

Does it do that when you just drive normal without getting into the throttle as heavily?

You sure nobody stuck something into the exhaust tailpipe?

I couldn't and wouldn't drive my car if it sounded like that,i would be taking things apart until i found the source.

I would probably disconnect the accessory drive belt and do a short drive up the street first.

I'm betting a split or leak in the a coupler between the intercooler or throttle body.

I've heard that before on 2 of the 3 turbo Buick's I've owned the first I ignored until all then brass from the thrust ( bearing) plate in the turbo was chewed up bad and the inducer blades pealed off needless to say send debree into the motor and destroyed the bearing the second time I stopped driving and fixed it lesson learned don't take much effort to take a hose off and look to make sure. The reason I though it might be turbo when he got off the throttle didn't here any horse sneeze it was like there was resistance in the turbo spinning

I have had the upipe to TB hose leak as well as the turbo to IC pipe hose make that sound. The Turbo to IC was straight forward it was loose and had moved around. The other I found when I pressurized the inlet of the compressor with the rockers pulled. Dang thing would seal until 17 psi then start leaking and reseal at 14-15 psi.
And of course check for shaft play and or wheels rubbing on your turbo.

Sounds like the turbo is loose at the header, check the 3 nuts and see if they tight

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Could be turbo or leak in the turbo plumbing up to the throttle body or one of the gaskets on the plenum either between the throttle body and plenum or intake and plenum

It shouldn't take very long to check what has been suggested.

I have never heard anything like that noise before and would like to know what is making it. I have had 2 hoses blow off from the up pipe to throttlebody and 1 from the intercooler piping to the up pipe, i guess i got lucky because it was easy to spot since they were off completely i didn't have to look hard to find it.

Thank you for your responses. I looked today and found a loose hose, but I am still getting the loud sound. I will keep looking. Funny that someone asked if someone stuck something in the tail pipe. When I was a kid I ordered one of those things from the Johnson-Smith catalog (no internet then) and stuck it on my grandaddy's Dodge Magnum tailpipe. Now that I think of it, after I replaced the bottom of the air cleaner box with that aluminum disc from Kirbans, I used to get a waffling sound after boost, but I am not hearing that anymore. I ought to look there again. Thanks again, if I don't find it in a couple of weeks I'll be back here, maybe with a new video.

A couple of weeks!

I was hoping in a few hours or a couple of days at the most if you were taking long breaks. lol

Now that I think of it, after I replaced the bottom of the air cleaner box with that aluminum disc from Kirbans, I used to get a waffling sound after boost, but I am not hearing that anymore. I ought to look there again. Thanks again, if I don't find it in a couple of weeks I'll be back here, maybe with a new video.
I think you may have found the answer?

Earl, do you get that sound when you pull too much vac on the bong??:D:p

A couple weeks????? Are you nuts? By then, [or maybe now], you can have an oiling system full of crap.