Oil question about LS1

Boosted 86 T

Hey guys i just bought a 99 Trans am and my brother just bought 99 camaro SS from an auction we go to. We do not know what oil the previous owner used, wether it was fully synthetic or if ti was just regular 5 or 10w30. they are suppose to take full synthetic i believe so what do you guys recommend to do?

I usually use conventional until the rings seat, then switch to synthetic on street cars. Race engines get straight conventional. Given that the cars are used, synthetic should be fine.

LS1's are notorious for piston slap.
Go with Mobil 1 in what ever wieght the fatory calls for.

I have a 98TA and have no problems with piston slap. The 2000-2002 f body cars have had problems with piston slap. Two of the cylinders had machine errors, been bored larger then the rest. GMs remedy was to replace just the two pistons with larger ones taken from a set of 8, half azz repair job. Cars with this piston slap consume a lot of oil. GMs quality really SUCKs. Only way to cure the problem is to bore the block over size.

GMs remedy was to replace just the two pistons with larger ones taken from a set of 8, half azz repair job. Cars with this piston slap consume a lot of oil. GMs quality really SUCKs. Only way to cure the problem is to bore the block over size.
They used a tighter ring...and oil consumption was shown not to be any more than ay other car.
The oil problem is with the pvc system on the LS1 motors...which is remedied by using a LS6 valley cover. :cool:

Yeah some of the local LS1 guys had a lot of oil in the intake and throttle body area and complained about consuming several qts between changes. Nice to know there is an easier fix. :cool:

You wont notice to much oil in the intake unless you run a bigger cam. This is remedied with a catch-can in line with the pvc system. :cool:

Thats a good solution...as long as it from a reputable builder...I have seen to many problems with the Darton sleeves (wet and dry) to put my faith in them. The best way to build a stroker LSx motor is with the CR5 block...but its like 6500 for just the block...or at least it was last time I checked.

oh i know all about the piston slap. my brothers denali truck has a little of that action goin on. didnt know it was 00-02 tho. Well im excited to get my Trans am i keep seein them drivin around AZ. I have to go get it from michigan and drive it here this june tho, my brother is fixin it for me right now. :cool: