oil pressure

10 is a lil on the low side but is acceptable. A few questions tho.
Has it recently dropped to that psi when it was higher before?
What weight oil?
How old is the oil pump?

10 is a lil on the low side but is acceptable. A few questions tho.
Has it recently dropped to that psi when it was higher before?
What weight oil?
How old is the oil pump?
10 30 amsoil dominator and when it drops that low that's when I hear knocking someone said it should be st least 4o psi at idle

Is it the same person that told you the pressure should be 40 psi at idle also the one that had you run 10-30 Amsoil?

Put in regular 20W-50 oil and you may then be ~20 psi at idle?

This engine was designed 50 years ago before Amsoil and most other synthetics became popular.

Is it the same person that told you the pressure should be 40 psi at idle also the one that had you run 10-30 Amsoil?

Put in regular 20W-50 oil and you may then be ~20 psi at idle?

This engine was designed 50 years ago before Amsoil and most other synthetics became popular.
20psi at idle still is low who are I know more than you my friend cause before my grand national I was the mustang man and never seen my oil psi that low lol

20psi at idle still is low who are I know more than you my friend cause before my grand national I was the mustang man and never seen my oil psi that low lol

What a shame, you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground. Need to go back to your Mus- shit

When I got my GN I was concerned about the lower oil pressure at idle but if you do a search you'll find it's normal for these cars. My Cuda and Trans Am carry 35 to 40 at idle hot but it doesn't seem to be the norm on these engines.

Just make sure you use the right oil and that the oil pressure increases with rpm.

Buick V6 is a totally different animal than any other engine. The good thing is this site is loaded with all the info you need.

That's funny, a guy who has posted 6-7 threads ranging from catalytic converter "knock" to rod knock all presumably about the same problem he doesn't understand telling Nick he doesn't know what he is doing. We are here to help your turboreese but please don't sling insults to those trying to offer assistance... Instead of posting a new thread every couple of days how about reading some of the threads where others have posted issues and found resolutions and keep your threads in one place so someone else can benefit from what you have learned when you get your issue solved.

20 psi at hot idle in gear is fine, 10 psi hot idle in gear is a bit low, but still ok, especially if your doing it on 10/30 oil.

My recently rebuilt engine shows 12 psi hot in gear. As long as it goes up with the RPMs, it's fine.

You guys are good. The moment I saw that shit respond to Nick, I checked out, and shut it down.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Other Engine Operation Components
DescriptionIdle ValuesWOT Values

Fuel Pressure
(Stock "233" regulator)34 - 40 psi "static"
(Vacuum line removed)Static + Boost pressure
Fuel Pressure
(T/TA "237" regulator)37 - 43 psi "static"
(Vacuum line removed)Static + Boost pressure
Oil Pressure10 - 15 psi hot> RPM/100

You need to get the synthetic oil that is probably the same consistency as water by now out of your car and put some regular 10/40 or 20/50 in it. This will solve the oil pressure issue and then you can figure out if you have rod knock. I use synthetic oil in my Tahoe and it is great. I put it in my Buick once and didn't like the oil pressure readings. Drained the oil after only 1k miles and it was like water. You may not like what Nick said or how he said it but he took the time to try to help you.

I run synthetic 0W30 in my Buick with the stock 'weak' spring and no cooler and no biggie kit (in GA). Plenty of oil pressure at hot idle here. No start up rattle and the oil light goes out before the engine starts.

The guy that built my pump isn't "the" mustang man, but he knows a little about building an oil pump. :)

It all depends on the engine. A tight engine can run damn near anything. A worn out POS in the hands of a newbie knowitall might need a pan full of gear dope.

How many clicks on the motor? My low milage car on synthetic 10w30 mobile has 20 psi when hot, cold start is close to 80 psi.

It all depends on the engine. A tight engine can run damn near anything. A worn out POS in the hands of a newbie knowitall might need a pan full of gear dope.

So true!