Oil pressure too high??

ta88gta

Long story short i just finishing firing my new engine combo and the thing is giving me 70psi cold at 1000rpm idle. the short block is used so its fully broken in but i did install a booster plate on the oil pump to give it a fresh surface. I did check the gears and they spun as freely as they would with the housing packed with assembly lube.

is this pressure way too high?

I had the same thing - sort of.
I had a high flow oil pumps with a boost plate on my old engine. I run up to 20-25 psi hot at idle. With the new engine it would be 90+ cold, 70 idle. The pressure was so high it pushed oil past the seals on my turbo. Put the stock pump without the boost plate in and the problem went away, hot idle at 20 psi.

Long story short, take the boost plate out.

My oil psi is about the same. I havent had any problems, used a lite oil that my be to your liking.

My oil pressure is in the 70-80psi range cold and has been for the past 10 years. No problems.

Long story short i just finishing firing my new engine combo and the thing is giving me 70psi cold at 1000rpm idle. the short block is used so its fully broken in but i did install a booster plate on the oil pump to give it a fresh surface. I did check the gears and they spun as freely as they would with the housing packed with assembly lube.

is this pressure way too high?

What is the oil pressure when the engine is warm?

I didn't let the car fully warm up because I was concerned about the pressure. I'm gonna let it fully warm up today and see what it drops to. I'm running 5w 30 in the car and wasn't expecting to see any thing near 70psi at idle

mine is same fresh engine 5w-30 cold is 70lbs idle 1k rpm and hot idle in gear 25lbs no problems here . I did the earl brown port job on a factory cover

After letting her warm up and setting the idle and things. with 5w30 oil, shes pushing 70 to 75psi cold and 35psi hot after a quick drive.

Don't know where you live, I live in a colder climate and those pressures gave me some major problems. I just fired up my new engine last week and it hit 80psi cold but a blip of the throttle moved it even higher and blew the gasket on my oil pump. Yesterday I put in a lighter oil bypass spring and new gasket and it seems to be good.

Forgot to add I also use an oil heater.

Just got my engine put in, earl brown mods, no boost plate, 5W30 oil, 80PSI Cold, 35~40 PSI Hot in drive. :)

I'd say your fine, and you have nice tight clearances and earls mods did what they are supposed to do.

Steve

Im in vancouver Canada. Not too cold here yet.

You guy's don't know what cold is in Vancouver.:biggrin: You'll probably be fine, but too much pressure can cause problems. A cold start for me without the oil heater has put me into the 100psi range. :eek: That's on a 0'C day or a tad colder. It's your motor. With the colder temps here 60-65psi cold is what I would shoot for.

A friends car pegs the 100psi gauge on cold startup. Has been like that for ever. No problems at all. Hot idle is mid 30's if I remember right

Get the oil up over 180 degrees and the pressure will drop down a lot more. Drive till its about 50 at cruise then do some 5 second WOT hits and it will drop. The numbers look normal to me

Exactly!!

Get the oil up over 180 degrees and the pressure will drop down a lot more. Drive till its about 50 at cruise then do some 5 second WOT hits and it will drop. The numbers look normal to me

A couple trips around the block will not get the oil HOT. So many people think that once the water gets up to operating temp. the oil is there also. Remember the oil has no thermostat in the system. IMO if you do what Bison says you will have around 20 HOT idle and maybe 50 -60 @ cruise.---Perfect.

The problem is the oil filter bypasses when cold an unfiltered oil enters your engine. The higher the pressure cold the longer the oil remains unfilterd. The bypasss spring regulates max pressure in the system. at all times If your seeing 80-100 cold its too much and putting alot of stress on the gear and front cam bearing. If the engine is never going to see above 6000 rpm you should be adjusting your cold psi to 60 max. What ever the oil psi hot it will be still regualted at 60 psi, its a bypass spring. YOur bearing clearances and oil thickness play a apart in hot oil pressure and the bypass spring.

A friends car pegs the 100psi gauge on cold startup. Has been like that for ever. No problems at all. Hot idle is mid 30's if I remember right

I have no doubts what your saying but when you live in a cold climate those pressures can be very destructive. My gauge reads 100psi and I blew it, I would think it had to be a good bit over 100psi to do that. It's not unusual for me to fire up the car in the morning at 10'F and by the end of the the outside temp hits 50'F. When I use to live way up north I experienced -72'F, synthetic oil looks like grease at those temps, and your going to need two block heaters to fire up the vehicle.

The problem is the oil filter bypasses when cold an unfiltered oil enters your engine. The higher the pressure cold the longer the oil remains unfilterd. The bypasss spring regulates max pressure in the system. at all times If your seeing 80-100 cold its too much and putting alot of stress on the gear and front cam bearing. If the engine is never going to see above 6000 rpm you should be adjusting your cold psi to 60 max. What ever the oil psi hot it will be still regualted at 60 psi, its a bypass spring. YOur bearing clearances and oil thickness play a apart in hot oil pressure and the bypass spring.

Well said!

Oil Pressure

I just put in some Electronic VDO Gauges, so now can see what my oil pressure reads.

Am using Mobil 1 Synthetic (10W 30) and ZDDPlus....

On cold start is reads 70psi, then when up to full temperature was 11psi at idle.

Not sure of the accuracy of the gauge / sending unit, or if its calibration may be off a little?

Is oil pressure of 11-psi , full warmed up at idle OK or is it too low?

dave

At idle its ok, but whats it at 5000 rpm? General rule is 10 psi per thousand rpm