Oil out of dipstick tube

trbojo

'Stang Stinger
:mad:
I have some oil coming out of the dipstick tube, happens only under boost. Of course, all over the headers, steering coupler and crossover pipe. This car is getting really frustrating. Fresh short block, heads, turbo, less than 200 miles. Any suggestions? Anybody make a stick/tube with a seal at the top?

You probably should do a compression test to see if a head gasket is leaking or something else has gone wrong?:oops:

sealing the dipstick tube wont stop the problem, what procedure did you use to seat the rings on the rebuild?

sealing the dipstick tube wont stop the problem, what procedure did you use to seat the rings on the rebuild?
did the normal cam break in procedure. ran at 2k-2500 for 30 min. let cool down. started back up and took out on highway and put 50 miles on, moderate driving. this was what the engine builder told me to do.

really not wanting to hear that this f**ing piece of shit has to come back apart. if that's the case, i'm done.

Do a compression test first but if that looks good it can be the intake gasket. If it does not seal properly you can have boost leak into motor pressurizing it and you'll see what you describe. Just another idea...

the best way to seat rings is with a nice hit of boost. once the engine is up to temp speed load the motor. give it a nice part throttle run for a few mins then shut down and check for leaks. After that, id make some wot passes....THE RINGS NEED TO SEAT OR ELSE YOU WILL HAVE BLOWBY

Are the grommets open? Can you see through them?
wide open..i was having an issue with oil out of the driver's side breather, but found out that he had sent me an incorrect breather base. got that resolved and no more oil out of the breather, but out of the dip tube now. i would think if it was excess blowby, i'd be smoking out the breathers too. would pcv valve do this?

I think you need (better) breathers on both sides of the head. Remember the factory had the constant vacuum setup, scavenging tube before the turbo that would coat the intercooler in oil over time 99% of us eliminated this and if you put undersized neat little breathers or a single breather it will blow oil. Ask me how I know.....

the best way to seat rings is with a nice hit of boost. once the engine is up to temp speed load the motor. give it a nice part throttle run for a few mins then shut down and check for leaks. After that, id make some wot passes....THE RINGS NEED TO SEAT OR ELSE YOU WILL HAVE BLOWBY
i haven't been to the track yet. made some hard street passes to dial the tune in. figured this would be enough?? or does it need a 10 psi launch?

I think you need (better) breathers on both sides of the head. Remember the factory had the constant vacuum setup, scavenging tube before the turbo that would coat the intercooler in oil over time 99% of us eliminated this and if you put undersized neat little breathers or a single breather it will blow oil. Ask me how I know.....
so, possibly not an actual problem, just a necessity to now provide a way to evacute better? i really can't see my luck being THAT bad, as if it hasn't been bad enough with this thing.

so, possibly not an actual problem, just a necessity to now provide a way to evacute better? i really can't see my luck being THAT bad, as if it hasn't been bad enough with this thing.
There's some guys here that had there motor built that are using the LS1 electric vacuum pumps for their cars to aid in crankcase ventilation I did not go this route but if you do a search you will find a few conversations....

There's some guys here that had there motor built that are using the LS1 electric vacuum pumps for their cars to aid in crankcase ventilation I did not go this route but if you do a search you will find a few conversations....
i've seen that on here. but what i'm saying is, i possibly don't have to chase a "problem", that's not actually a problem??

i've seen that on here. but what i'm saying is, i possibly don't have to chase a "problem", that's not actually a problem??
Thats a little cryptic but if I understand what your asking ...The answer is, No might not be a big problem. I think it could be easily remedied... Easy to test. Temporarily run no breather on both sides, insure your PCV is good, and see if it goes away.

Thats a little cryptic but if I understand what your asking ...The answer is, No might not be a big problem. I think it could be easily remedied... Easy to test. Temporarily run no breather on both sides, insure your PCV is good, and see if it goes away.
only problem with that is i'd have even more oil all over because of the 1" open holes in the valve covers!!