oil myths that just won't die..

I had a flat tappet cam wipe a lobe on a performance cam right after ZDDP levels were reduced, and could not understand why until some articles started appearing. It's not a myth as far as I am concerned. Keep in mind that article is relating to stock engines that do not have the spring pressures most modified engines run.

i took apart many, many engines in the late 80's and early 90's that had flat cams.. these were stock, unmolested V8 engines from the 70's and 80's that all had less than 100,000 miles on them and no signs of being improperly maintained like sludge buildup or anything like that. most of them ran pretty damn good and the round cams were a shock...

there was a bunch of soft cam cores that were being used right about the time that cams started going flat, too.. the cam companies pointed at the new oils to deflect it away from them, but i think it was Crane that came out and admitted that at least part of the problem was due to the cam cores..

I replaced plenty of Chevy flat tappet cams with rounded lobes in the late 60's, 70's, and early 80's, so yes there were some bad cams around. Fords, not so much.

Softer cores, lack of stellite footed lifters, and crappy oil is a recipe for disaster by itself.

Throw in some stiff springs and aggressive ramp speeds and you're really asking for it.