Oil filter blow test

GNICETRY

Cat&wife post starter
Can someone please explain this one to me. I blow into the middle of the filter and see if air comes out???

this tests the ability of the filter to hold oil so u do not get a dry start up. You should not be able to blow air ..

I've tried about 10 filter from AC to Pure One They all passed air. Is that normal. Am I supposed to cover the little holes too?

Originally posted by Race Jace
nope all junk.
All junk?? 10 different filters is alot of filters that aren't any good. Would you explain this to me as well Jason? I'd like to learn a bit on this. Thanks:)

the anti drain back feature means that the holes around the outside of the filter are prevented from drain oil out of the filter back to the pan. if you are able to blow through the center hole, that air is coming out of the outer holes and the anti drain back feature is not working and if you use these filters, every time you start your engine you will have to fill the filter before any oil gets to the motor.

hope this helps.

"10 bad filters in a row" seems awfully high, GNICETRY.

Are you referring to the stock Delco PF47 (short) or PF52 (long)?

Lately I've seen variable anti-drain valve quality on Delco filters. They will pass some air when I blow into the center large hole.

I've seen very good anti-drain valve quality on Purolator (both standard and PureOne), and on the extra-big Baldwin B9 filter (fits the RJC biggie adapter) - I can hardly blow any air thru, at all.

I just got my biggy the other day. Can't wait to go the the parts store and stand there blowing in oil filters. Maybe I should bring the wife......................DOH! he said blowing.

When AC introduced their new UPF series of filters, they appear to have reduced the quality of the PF series and the drainback valves are not much good anymore. No, they did not reduce the price of the filter.

Now, they have discontinued the UPF filter line but they did not improve the quality of the PF.

I would not be surprised if the Purolator lines are the same way. Want a good one? Buy the expensive one.

The Mobil filters seem to be pretty good with regard to the drainback valves.

The problem with the more expensive filters may be that they filter better and as a result, have more backpressure so the by pass valve is kicked open more often....too much of a good thing can lead to bad things....kinda like me and ice cream.

good point Steve.

If you go with a filter that has an ultra small micron praticle count then it can become restrictive which will hurt oil pressure.

that is why i stick with the Fram PH11.

I've become kind of a Baldwin Filter convert lately ...

I picked up a Purolator L30005, the cross-ref to Baldwin B9 ... they are both ~25% longer versions of the PF24 and allow a "bigger Biggie" setup.

The Baldwin is noticebaly heavier in my hand (maybe 25-30% ?), and I can easily flex the Purolator shell by squeezing it , I can't deflect the Baldwin at all. Baldwin informed me the B9 is rated at 100 psi continuous operating pressure, with typical 200 psi burst pressure. Don't know about the Purolator .

Not getting carried away with single digit , low micrometer (micrometer = micron = µm) filtering claims is good advice. I'd be surprised if the engine risk is from 5 µm particles, I too would worry more about bypass opening (from excessive pressure drop across the "hi efficiency" filter) and allowing big chunks of shrapnel thru the engine.

0.001" = 25.4 µm, 0.0002" = 5µm ... gives you an idea of how small a 5µm particle is.

There has to be some air passing through. I went to Walmart/Kmart and blew through at least 7 different filter, PF52 and PF47 size. AC delco and Fram. All of them passed air. At Strauss I blew through 2 Pure 1 filters and it seemes like less air but they also passed air. I can't believe that all these filters were bad. They are supposed to pass NO air if the anti-drain valve is working???

a good filter will pass very little air, but I wouldn't call it zero.
blowing vigorously on a good filter will puff up your checks, chipmunk-style.
how tightly are you pressing your lips against the center hole? ;)

A "little" leakage should be OK, I'd think. The rubber flap will seal better when it is lubed up vs. dry, and a thick fluid is going to ooze out a LOT slower than air.

I don't have any quantitative reference, or actual leak-down test data.

when doing the mouth blow test I find it hard to get a good seal on the 2 corners of my mouth and the filter. I get a lot a leakage here.. :)

I have been using the Delco's with mixed results. The Mobil one and Pure 1's seem to be the best. I will NEVER use a another Fram ever again. I wouldnt even use them on a lawn mower. AT 1 shop I worked at, we had an engine failure and sent the oil out to be analyzed. The results were the filtering media was starting degrade and was in the oil!! :eek:
Anyone who has never under stood oil filters should read this article http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html
My opinion on why the drain back valve is so critical on the Buick is because the filter lays on its side. This is a problem with almost all Ford engines as well since the oil will drain back into the pan when it sits IF there isnt a good drainback valve. Probably the best way to eliminate this is to install a kit to relocate the filter to the frame or fender well in an up and down position.

Ford's mount their filters vertically in most cases,don't they?Relocating may not help much.Syphoning can occur,even in the vertical position.As to the drainback valves,I run the Delcos and haven't had a problem.The point about the seal loosening with heat and oil flow sounds about right.Most rubber will loosen up with some heat and lubrication.:D

Most Ford 4, 6 and 8 cylinders have their filters mounted horizontally. They have the same problems with knock/lifter tap from filters that drain down. I can believe the suction thing, but explain why most Chevrolets (which mount filters vertically) dont suffer from those problems. A few local machinists I have talked to said the same thing. Filters mounted horizontally are usually the critical ones.

Originally posted by FlyinGN
when doing the mouth blow test I find it hard to get a good seal on the 2 corners of my mouth and the filter. I get a lot a leakage here.. :)

be carefull frank, i just got a firm smack upon the wrist for not being PG-13 :)

i can't decide which smartass comment to make...............

earl

NO comment Earlmeister..

:) :)

QUOTE]Originally posted by earlbrown

be carefull frank, i just got a firm smack upon the wrist for not being PG-13 :)

i can't decide which smartass comment to make...............

earl
[/QUOTE]