oil filler tube leaking unmetered air

billy 420

the oil filler tube had a replacement cork washer used on it ,this was allowing an unmetered air leak and drove blms up to 145-150 at idle . I cant seem to order one from parts store so i will make one from heat resistant silicone sheeting

the oil filler tube had a replacement cork washer used on it ,this was allowing an unmetered air leak and drove blms up to 145-150 at idle . I cant seem to order one from parts store so i will make one from heat resistant silicone sheeting

This issue caused me a lot headaches and a lot of money. The best solution is eliminate the whole oil fill setup and go with a breather with a billet tube on the valve cover. Brad

This issue caused me a lot headaches and a lot of money. The best solution is eliminate the whole oil fill setup and go with a breather with a billet tube on the valve cover. Brad[/quot
So i take it the breather would only breath to the intake duct not to the outside air at all

deffinately not good an a maf based system (2 breathers venting to atmosphere )
You obviously have alot to learn. Valve cover breathers have no purpose being hooked up the air intake either before or after the MAF sensor. Brad

boy you guys sure make this seem harder than it really is , a piece of heat resistant silicone cut into a washer ,install on oil spout , shove into head cover , done . no fancy billet bs , i dont need any more expenses ,this is an easy fix and cheap . You should of stated , best solution if you have alot of money to spend

well im here to learn like everyone else , i didnt see the post where you let everyone know about your oil filler problem and ive been all through these pages

Why are you arguing with me because i posted a known problem and solution ? Where is the post where you let all these guys know you had trouble with this oil spout leaking air to begin with?

Im ok with admitting i dont know how venting to atmosphere would affect this car , if you do it it must work eh . I myself am keeping things stock

Why are you arguing with me because i posted a known problem and solution ? Where is the post where you let all these guys know you had trouble with this oil spout leaking air to begin with?

I am not arguing with you and your solution is fine. My problem is that I have been around too long. It is time for me to move on. The motivation for my comment is that any crankcase vapors from either the breather or pcv valve causes knock which is really bad. take care and god bless.

Ive been around a while too ,and i like having money , not spending every dime on this car . This is a stock setup and thats where the vent tube runs , i didnt build it , but i tried to let peeps know how to fix it . what other folks do outside of stock setups is totally up to them , but then again , so is fixing them

The stock setup simply aids in relieving positive crank case pressure by placing it in a vacuum so to speak and sucking the vapors into the throttle body. Some people have experienced mild smoking and some issues with excessive oil being sucked into the intake stream and hurting performance...that's why they remove it. This usually happens if your rings are worn and there is a higher than normal amount of crankcase pressure. The IC people remove this setup because it will eventually fill their intercoolers with oil and kill the cooling efficiency....hot airs don't have that issue. You can leave it in the stock configuration and it will be fine. Reseal the filler neck and it won't be sucking the unmetered air. I have a similar setup as brad and have eliminated the tube going into the MAF pipe....right or wrong, it works fine either way. I actually feel like the gm engineers were on to something with the stock setup as it would be a better way of relieving the positive crank case pressure better than an open breather....I'm just too lazy to figure out how to put it back with my chrome MAF pipe. Lol.