Oil dipstick

gnjrok

I bought a stage 2 4.1 that I been piecing together for a while now. Finally poured oil in it to prime the pump (which I've had zero success at). I noticed there's no revision on either side of the block for a dipstick tube. My car with a 109 factory engine has been off to paint for too long so I have nothing but the internet to reference to. Would the stage 2's have had a pan revision? My pan looks homemade and all it has is a drain plug on bottom and a bung for the oil pump suction line on the right side. Any help would be appreciated

I don't know what happened to the rest of this thread. You guys that were helping me remember my last question about the oil issues?

I don't know what happened to the rest of this thread. You guys that were helping me remember my last question about the oil issues?
What are you using for an oil pickup, pressure line and oil regulator return ? Is the pan steel or aluminum ?
AG.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
What are you using for an oil pickup, pressure line and oil regulator return ? Is the pan steel or aluminum ?
AG.
Ok I'm posting a pic of what I have. The pan is steel and th oil pickup is a bung welded in the bottom pass side. Had a hose going to a threaded hole in the block behind the timing cover which I just determined to be on the pressure side. I took the suction line off of it and poured oil into another hose I connected to it and the oil ran out the threaded pipe the filter screws on to

Your going to need the TA or Dutweiler oil pump plate. It will have provisions for suction and return lines and a separate line for the oil bypass. How well did you inspect all the oil passages in the block ? I seen some that were intersecting passages were incomplete.
AG.

Attachments

• oil pump.jpg
    oil pump.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 174
Your going to need the TA or Dutweiler oil pump plate. It will have provisions for suction and return lines and a separate line for the oil bypass. How well did you inspect all the oil passages in the block ? I seen some that were intersecting passages were incomplete.
AG.
I didn't really inspect anything because I got it like this. Intersecting passages you mean suction/pressure joining in the block behind the timing cover where those 2 holes are? Are those holes there from the factory or did someone machine them? When I had the filter adapter off I blew through the turbo feed hose with my mouth and could feel it coming out of the hole where the oil goes up from the filter. I'll mess with it more tomorrow with blowing air and see what I can figure out. I'm thinking the hole in the block beneath the one with the fitting may be for the pump suction. It had a pipe plug in it when I got it but I took it out tonight before I snapped that photo. I have an old timing cover I'll look at too to see how the oil works on a stock engine. One other thing I noticed was the pump gears were maybe 1/4" longer than the new ones that came with that pump kit I ordered from earl brown but there's no extension on the bottom. Wonder if someone machines out the timing cover deeper for higher capacity oil pump or if that's just a different cover all together

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok I took the timing cover off and found the problem. The hole was not cut out of the gasket for the suction. I'll pick up a new gasket set tomorrow and make sure the hole gets cut. The passages look to be in good shape nothing crossed up. Do you see any reason why I can't just use the stock filter adapter with the built in bypass? Theres a screen glued in where the oil can drain out of the intake valley to the timing compartment. Do you know if these blocks have oil pressure in the lifter holes? I read somewhere that some of them don't. I'm not sure if these are hydraulics or solids. I took a valve cover off and it has the blue scorpion rockers
image.jpg

My virgin stage block had some incomplete drillings from the main oil feed on the top of the block to the lower passage near the original entry from the stock timing cover. One lifter oil galley was also cut off from oil supply. Any drain back in the lifter galley is up to the end user to provide and will most likely need to be drilled based on your preference.

I'm not sure from your picture where the oil lines are going but I'm assume your intent is to feed the turbo from the block. It would be far better for you to run the external filter adapter and feed the oil directly from the filter head. Also suction line should be at least a -12 and the pressure line to the block should be a -10.

You will need to see what modifications were made to your block to accommodate the suction line. I know there have been several approaches to this to get around the external adapter and I don't know the details on any of them. Whatever you do make sure the lines and passages are

As far as the gears are concerned there is a high volume set that are 1/4 longer and require a spacer plate when used on a stock cover. If you have an aftermarket cover with deep pocket than you really need to look it over and make whatever modifications necessary to get the proper gear end clearance. The oil passages in those covers can be restrictive and will most likely need to be massaged.
AG.

where do you feed the block with oil from your ta plate? Maybe I should take this thing to a reputable turbo buick engine builder, I always heard good things about Conley but now I'm starting to wonder

From what I can read between the lines, did you put the shorter gears in a cover that was a HV cover ??
That used the taller gears with no spacer?

From what I can read between the lines, did you put the shorter gears in a cover that was a HV cover ??
That used the taller gears with no spacer?
No. I used the same hv gears that were in in. I just noticed they were longer than stock and there was no extension plate which must mean this is a hv cover. I put the right gears in it. Since I have successfully primed the pump. The problem was the gasket didn't have the hole cut for the suction

I'm back to the topic subject. Does anyone know where the desired oil full line would be in reference to the crank? I gotta weld a dipstick pipe in my pan and wondered how close to oil the crank runs