Oil and Trans Cooler Questions

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I posted this on the TR mailing list, too, but only got one (though very helpful) response. Looking for some ideas on my oil and trans cooler installation.

I have (or will have) PTE’s turbo saver oil kit. It puts the oil filter behind the RH headlight. I can easily tap into that to get to my cooler. I’m using B&M’s 28,000 GVW cooler because that was the only cooler they listed for oil use. I don’t know if it’s overkill or not, but it’s what I got. Not having the PTE kit here, does anyone know if the adapter for the oil filter has extra, plugged fittings that I can tap into for the cooler? In the pic on their site, it almost looks like there is.

Second, it looks like Baker Precision will assemble Aeroquip hoses for you. I don’t want the steel braided because it’s behind the grill. The only black Aeroquip stuff on their site is the Starlite stuff, which is good to 200 psi. Will this stuff be okay for the oil cooler in the –10 size?

For the trans cooler, I’m using the same B&M unit, and I’m going to put it next to the oil cooler. Will the two side-by-side in front of the a/c condenser cause any cooling problems? I have one of Nick Micale’s high efficiency coolers – keeps it very cool all the time.

For the trans cooler lines, do I use the –3 AN line?

Thanks,
Jim

Yes the PTE unit does have extra ports where the filter mounts.
Why not just use the original oil cooler adapter ports and have some hoses made by any hydrolic (sp) shop? Would be way cheaper than using AN fittings and hoses.

For the tranny lines, back in 91 I used the "rubber" hoses that came with my B&M tranny cooler. Used a double clamp on the metal tranny lines and have had no problems with them in over 10 years.
If going AN lines then I suggest #4 An.

The overheating would depend on how marginal (good) you cooling system is.
Shouldn't be a problem if your system is good.
If you still have the factory stock radiator then you may have problems.

Just my 2 cents.

Gary

For transcooler and trannyline, use -6AN line. That is what was recommended by the tranny god Bruce :D

Thanks for the replies.

When I first posted, I was under the impression that the PTE unit replaced the stock oil cooler setup. It doesn't. I guess I'll get some brass couplers and extend the stock ones with some custom made ones from NAPA. Or have new ones made.

....and if I do use AN for the trans, I'll use -6

Thanks again,
Jim