Odd question here...maybe it's an electrical issue

Haynesie

So I dropped the tank today to install new fuel lines (just the ones from the frame to the tank). I installed the tank and the car ran in idle and I gave it some gas and it revved up real nice, then it completely cut out.

I went to the back of the car noticed the pigtail connecting to the tank was not connected, so I plugged it in, and started the car up, now it ran like crap, so then I went to the back of the car and disconnected the pig tail, and the car started running real well again...and then cut out (I assume because it was no longer getting gas because the pump was no longer running)

So my question is this, what could be causing the car to run terribly when the pump is on, but smoothly when the pump is off just before there is no more residual gas left in the lines.....I assume it is some sort of electrical issue causing the pump to draw to much power???

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks in advance.

Wish it was that easy, truth be told it never really ran well for the past few years, so I haven't driven it, not having the fuel pumped in has given me hope as it seemed to run reasonably well for a few brief seconds haha

Well, the next question is why not replace the fuel pump if it did not run well for a few years?

These are maintaince items and have a limited life. In one of my cars purchased new, the stock pump quit altogether at 6000 miles after running poorly.

Sounds to me like something is grounding out when you connect the harness? Was it running good before all this ? Trace back all your work like nick said maybe something got switcedits hard to say could be the pump took a crap!!!

Does it have a hot wire? Is there a relay there, by the back bumper? If so eliminate the hot wire and connect the stock wires back together. The relay may be bad.

Hey Everyone, thanks for the tips

Fuel pressure is 44Lbs at idle (42 with line off I believe). I was under the impression that it had a hot wire kit, but perhaps it does not. I do know it has an aftermarket fuel pump, is it normal for it to be pretty loud?

I was just going to order a new one from full throttle since a hot wire kit and walboro 340 is only $160 combined. That pump should be good for my application (40Lb injectors, te60 turbo, front mount...)

Thanks,

Jason

I would have to double check, won't be near the car for the next week or so, but there was only a 2 lb difference according to the gauge....