o2 sensor location ?

Two T's

Long Time member
I have read that you can put your o2 sensor on your down pipe think I rember seeing that you put it 14" from ehaust housing is that correct?
I am just wondering as I just spun a bearing in my motor and am going to be replacing the motor soon and just wanted to know if that location is ok as I am currently using a egt guage in the stock o2 location and my o2 is mounted on my th 3" dp also like the location as is easy to replace in a jam want to put alki on car but funds are being consumed right now. any input would be appericiated
Thanks Tom:cool:

Do you mean wideband sensor? If, the location you mentioned is ok. However, some guys think, that it is a little bit too hot place and install it into down pipe just before cat as I have done it.

Concerning stock O2 sensor, which will command stock ECM, It should be installed in the exhaust pipe before turbo as it is in the stock arrangement.

Do you mean wideband sensor? If, the location you mentioned is ok. However, some guys think, that it is a little bit too hot place and install it into down pipe just before cat as I have done it.

Concerning stock O2 sensor, which will command stock ECM, It should be installed in the exhaust pipe before turbo as it is in the stock arrangement.

Was just wondering as I have seen it done on other cars with the o2 sensor about 14' away from exaust housing . I did so on my car and used the stock
o2 location for my egt (not wideband) guage just making sure is ok so when new motor goes in no problems.
Thanks for your reply:)

If you mean stock narrowband sensor commanding stock ECM, please install it into stock location to avoid any delays/timeslips to the volts, which ECM reads. This is for the stock ECM and "stock" o2- sensor...

If you mean stock narrowband sensor commanding stock ECM, please install it into stock location to avoid any delays/timeslips to the volts, which ECM reads. This is for the stock ECM and "stock" o2- sensor...

Exactly Stock O2 goes into Stock location.

Exactly Stock O2 goes into Stock location.
that is what I was wondering thanks for the input I will switch mine back to stock location just was less trouble some when changing out o2 due to race gas fouling and had some problems from time to time removing.What about the egt probe the 2 1/16 autometer that i have dose not come with hose clamp only brass plug would it be ok to put on down pipe hate to remove gage
but also do not want to wreck it either .
Thanks guys
Tom

Maybe the best place for single probe system is to install it very close to stock o2-sensor. So, you should to weld the bug for it or something like that. Or ask the clamp-type probe for your gauge if they have alternatives...

Order the correct hose clamp kit from Jeg's or summit for cheap! Then install it just above the stock o2 bung. EGT sensors can be mounted in any position on the DP as there is no worry about fouling.

SW.

Order the correct hose clamp kit from Jeg's or summit for cheap! Then install it just above the stock o2 bung. EGT sensors can be mounted in any position on the DP as there is no worry about fouling.

SW.

So sence I already have a bung on my down pipe I can just put there has same plug as the o2 sensor so I can just put o2 back to stock location and egt probe in down pipe where i had moved my o2 sensor then everythin should be ok?:p
Thanks again guys
and thank you scott
all your products Rock
Tom

Maybe it is ok. You only take in the consideration, that temperatures are are lower inthere. But, you can make the measurement correction in your brains.

:)

ok i will check and see the the differances when I get the car back up n runnin
thanks tom

So sence I already have a bung on my down pipe I can just put there has same plug as the o2 sensor so I can just put o2 back to stock location and egt probe in down pipe where i had moved my o2 sensor then everythin should be ok?:p
Thanks again guys
and thank you scott
all your products Rock
Tom
Tom,
I personally would plug that old o2 bung, Go back to the stock location with your o2 sensor, and get the clamp kit from jeg's and drill a new hole above and opposite of the stock o2 location. Reason being you want to read the exhaust temps as close to the turbo as possible, any further away and it would start to cool down and give cooler readings..

SW.

Thanks again guys
and thank you scott
all your products Rock
Tom

You DO NOT want to mount an EGT sensor post turbo!! The readings post turbo are hundreds of degrees cooler than pre turbo and depending on the distance downstream will be even much worse than that!!! The readiings will also be very inconsistent because of huge temp drops across the turbo based on load/rpm etc..

Here's how to mount it.

Attachments

• Egtprob.jpg
    Egtprob.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 185
that is as clear as can be and that is what I will do thanks allot again scott hows the weather down there gettin cold up here at night got to love wisconsin. And nice hearing from you dave as well if that is what you guys are saying then ill bet the farm on it still got both cars it was nice meetin ya when I was down that way wish you guys were closer may not of tossed the rod and had it tuned correctly from get go just chasing problems found out to late guess no replacement for age and welth of knollage
thanks again
TOM

I'm about to do the same thing with a banks egt gauge and weld a o2 bung on for it. What temp is ideal for a hotair car?