NVU gauge cluster installation.

Kind of why I asked - it looked real small and my kit didn't come with adapters like some of them I've seen... Do you remember what the thread size is? Is it 3/8?

Kind of why I asked - it looked real small and my kit didn't come with adapters like some of them I've seen... Do you remember what the thread size is? Is it 3/8?
never mind just checked- it is 3/8…… off to the hardware store i go…..

Finally had a chance [and good weather] to - DO WORK - and feel like i got a lot accomplished yesterday…. the majority of the wiring is done. I can tell you mine must have been made on a Friday. I noticed TWO wires on the same PLUG that weren't even crimped right and were not attached to the pin. :cautious: Good thing i double checked all of the plugs…. I de-pinned it and soldered them. Hopefully i can manage to get some more work done today… i can see the light! I have few additional projects to do but I'm hoping to get done before the weekend.

While i was under the dash i did snap this photo… i thought it was cool. Guess i've been an AlkyHolic since 2003. Wonder what number Julio is on now.

photo.JPG

Finally had a chance [and good weather] to - DO WORK - and feel like i got a lot accomplished yesterday…. the majority of the wiring is done. I can tell you mine must have been made on a Friday. I noticed TWO wires on the same PLUG that weren't even crimped right and were not attached to the pin. :cautious: Good thing i double checked all of the plugs…. I de-pinned it and soldered them. Hopefully i can manage to get some more work done today… i can see the light! I have few additional projects to do but I'm hoping to get done before the weekend.

While i was under the dash i did snap this photo… i thought it was cool. Guess i've been an AlkyHolic since 2003. Wonder what number Julio is on now.

View attachment 219042
One of the first Alky controllers... That's awesome!

One of the first Alky controllers... That's awesome!
lol… yeah Number 16….. and me and my brothers have 3 consecutive numbers…. so i think number 15,16,17….. i am sure Julio has made thousands by now…. just thought that it was pretty cool…. guess I'm an OG METHhead.

aaron

Just wondering how is everyone enjoying their gauges? Has anyone did a redline gauge install yet? I have mine still sitting on the shelf and am thinking about getting started but am a little scared to be honest?? LOL

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have mine installed but due to an injector issue I was set back and had to buy new injectors and I cannot drive the car since I am waiting on a chip. But for the few moments I have it idled it is fine...
I took my time installing, very slowly since this was a restoration. I suggest you read through these posts, and the NVU instructions; then prepare a place to do some bench work.
Take your time and go slow if you hit a snag post here or PM me I will give you my phone number you can call or text, questions or comments. If you are of average handyman status and can install fog lights or stereo and speakers you can do this.

I have started my Redline install but have gotten pulled away many times by other priorities not to mention the freezing temps until recently. I'd say I'm 80% complete.
Just take your time and don't get in a hurry. I spend most of my time over-thinking wire routing and trying to de-clutter the fuse box area!

One thing that I did to help me remember since I was going slow, and had days in between working on it; was labeling of wires. The P-touch label maker was invaluable and if I ever need to go back there to work, uninstall, or trouble shoot it will be that much easier.

Attachments

• car 002.JPG
    car 002.JPG
    550.8 KB · Views: 211
  • car 001.JPG
    car 001.JPG
    528.1 KB · Views: 212
I have mine installed but due to an injector issue I was set back and had to buy new injectors and I cannot drive the car since I am waiting on a chip. But for the few moments I have it idled it is fine...
I took my time installing, very slowly since this was a restoration. I suggest you read through these posts, and the NVU instructions; then prepare a place to do some bench work.
Take your time and go slow if you hit a snag post here or PM me I will give you my phone number you can call or text, questions or comments. If you are of average handyman status and can install fog lights or stereo and speakers you can do this.
Thank you Steve I appreciate that. I will definitely be getting a hold of you in the next week or two..

One thing that I did to help me remember since I was going slow, and had days in between working on it; was labeling of wires. The P-touch label maker was invaluable and if I ever need to go back there to work, uninstall, or trouble shoot it will be that much easier.
Man, those labels look great! I used a Sharpie. When you get sick of pulling all the wires and need to walk away from it, labeling will help you remember what all those wires went to.

I have a little over 800 miles on the new NVU odometer and about 6 runs at the track. So glad I went with this setup.. Even met a forum member at the Lone Star Nationals with whom I had exhchanged emails about this installation. By the way, it was a pleasure meeting 1952Ray

I have a little over 800 miles on the new NVU odometer and about 6 runs at the track. So glad I went with this setup.. Even met a forum member at the Lone Star Nationals with whom I had exhchanged emails about this installation. By the way, it was a pleasure meeting 1952Ray

Thanks Jason, a pleasure like-wise. A long ways to Texas from S.C. To find out what you use for drinking whiskey down there. I found that what you use is drinking whiskey. And the people in Texas have real good manners.

On the trip reset buttons, one is a 3-wire with the third wire being green. I'm assuming this reset button goes to the voltmeter with the green wire going to ground. Would someone please confirm. Thanks in advance. BTW - I have the Redline gauges

Last edited:
On the trip reset buttons, one is a 3-wire with the third being green. I'm assuming this reset button goes to the voltmeter with the green wire going to ground. Would someone please confirm. Thanks in advance. BTW - I have the Redline gauges
Please keep me posted how the installation works out I also have the redline gauges and have yet to attempt to install mine.

On the trip reset buttons, one is a 3-wire with the third wire being green. I'm assuming this reset button goes to the voltmeter with the green wire going to ground. Would someone please confirm. Thanks in advance. BTW - I have the Redline gauges

It's for the fuel gauge calibration - see page 8 of the manual (Thanks to John of NVU)

Finally got to work on the Buick today. I completed the installation and the speedo calibration. However, I have an issue with the speedo jumping around. It's noticeable around 40 mph but goes nuts at 60 mph. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do to fix it?