Not yet a kill

jpratt

Has anybody seen a 2004 Lightning run? I was talking to an aquantance today and he has his fourth lightning, an 04. He said he modded the computer and ran 10.49 @ 117. I thought that this seemed way to fast for the truck. What do you think.

Originally posted by jpratt
Has anybody seen a 2004 Lightning run? I was talking to an aquantance today and he has his fourth lightning, an 04. He said he modded the computer and ran 10.49 @ 117. I thought that this seemed way to fast for the truck. What do you think.

:rolleyes:

No way you're running 10s with that MPH in that truck. 11s maybe, but not 10s. I've raced enough of them to know:D

I didn't believe him about the truck but he has never lead me on about anything else before. We are supposed to meet in a few weeks at the track, then I can tell for m self.

if thats true i will be trading in my c5. hell i will just leave the gn stock. with a 10 second truck i will clean up at the st races.keep me posted people still fear gns, but a truck i can make some real cash.

Greg, keep the C5. I have paid for half of mine with the street racing proceeds:D I just bought my Turbo T because races for the Vette were getting scarce. I've raced all the guys that are in my league, a friend of mine takes on the 10-second and under cars in his heads/cam 10-second C5. He also has an "anti-lose device"(200 shot) installed just in case...

heh, you want a streetable truck get a Sy. F-series and 60 foot are contradiction in terms, even for the stockers.

Car and Driver did around 14.1 with that car.

Best I have heard stock is 13.6 -14.5. Those things weigh 4800+lbs, and traction isn't their best thing either.

I don't know those cars well, but I have ridden in one, and it didn't seem much faster than my car, and he was flooring it. I doubt w/ a chip we got off 3 seconds... BS flag.

Im going to race him once I get the chance, so I can tell you firsthand.

As long as you get a good launch, I wouldn't worry, these trucks suck at traction.

LIGHTNING PICK-UP

I WAS AT THE TRACK TWO YEARS AGO AND SAW A 2001 FORD LIGHTNING GO DOWN THE TRACK. IT'S BEST QUARTER MILE TIME WAS A 13.85 AT 101.6 M.P.H. IT WAS ABOUT 65 DEGREES OUT AND HE WAS ON STREET TIRES, ALL STOCK. YOU WOULD HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT WITH A STRONG RUNNING TURBO BUICK!!!:) :)

Originally posted by nero
What he said!
i think he means syclone bro of the typhoon, that truck is very scarce. that truck is a bad ass it will eat that ford and dodge viper powered truck i remembered back in the early 90s those trucks gave gns hell at the st races. they come out the hole hard and they dont spin because they are 4wd. thanks man i almost forgot about those trucks i will have to get one before they get too expensive only made them for two years 91 and 92.

Yeah a syclone is the thing to have for a truck. They cant haul anything but A**. Mine does 1.68-1.65 60' on regular radials.

I know that those truck are quick but the engine compartment is just not good looking. To me it looks like any other 90's+ electronic controlled everything. I like the looks of my GN and love the way the engine looks in it. Can you show me pixs of a 'good' looking engine bay of a TY SY?

645196_7.jpg

not pretty but its mine

There are definitely some 10sec Lightnings running around, but not at that low MPH and not with a chip as the only upgrade.

I only know of a couple of 10 sec truly streetable lightings and one is the Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine white project truck (The Fridge). Those guys our ford wizards and even they marveled at this accomplishment of a barely 10sec street truck (heavily mobbed with slicks=10.9 something). So if it's white and it has slicks be careful!!!

I know that those truck are quick but the engine compartment is just not good looking. To me it looks like any other 90's+ electronic controlled everything. I like the looks of my GN and love the way the engine looks in it. Can you show me pixs of a 'good' looking engine bay of a TY SY?

here you go....you should take a ride in a good running one sometime...not that easy to find though cause they're pretty rare...ask for a boost launch and make sure you didn't eat a meal within the last hour or you might lose it....

http://www.whitetyphoon.com/shiny_engine_bay.html

:cool:

93TY#0475

I know that they are quick but how much more than a good tuned running GN? I appreciate the power and speed with the AWD, but are they much faster than a mid 12 second street running GN?

93TY#0475

I know that they are quick but how much more than a good tuned running GN? I appreciate the power and speed with the AWD, but are they much faster than a mid 12 second street running GN?

like with anything, its all relative...gn's and syty's each have their pro's and cons...they both respond well to small mods...both have blistering hot underhood temps...gn's appear to have a tougher bottom end...stock syty trannie's aren't the toughest ...a stock syty seems to produce its peak torque at a lower rpm than the gn...a stockish syclone is relatively easy to get into the high 12's with little cash...a sy weighs about as much as a regal (or at least mine does)...so they're not exactly lightweight...ahh, who am i trying to kid? tb's, and syty's are all cool in my book...people claim that syty's are less reliable than gn's, but they all seem pretty reliable to me...there was an obvious reason for any problem i've ever encountered on either the syty or gn....i don't really race at the track...just the occasional stoplight war...i've gotten many :eek: reactions while driving any turbo 6 i've owned...that's really what its all about to me...;)

yeah, you're definitely right about the tougher bottom end on the GN. look at a 4.3L rod versus that Buick rod, especially the big end. Shame the 4.3's rods weren't closer to a GN design. The later gen rods are supposedly better, even though I wouldn't be wanting to bet on how much so. I like the way the Buick's main caps are fitted to the block, the 4.3's caps are like an SBC's. I was wanting to build a high power 4.3 for a while, then decided on the 3.8 because of the fact that it's gonna take a lot less work and money to get the bottom end suitable for power with production parts. In my book the real boon of the 4.3L is that later generation OEM heads are easy to fit to it, an advantage the Buick doesn't have.