Not Pumping Oil!

comradburk

Alright, this is really strange...It came time for my oil change, so, I changed my oil just like normal...I used Pennzoil 20w-50 oil with an AC Delco PF-52 oil filter. I get everything finished and I start it back up and it sounds noisier than normal so I take off the valve cover and see that it's not pumping any oil at all!! I have no idea what could have happened...it was a freaking routine oil change!! So, what all could've happened?? I was going to pull the oil pan and see if there was something clogging the oil pickup (which would be odd) and then after that I'm guessing investigate the oil pump. It's just rather odd that this would happen right after I change my oil...and to my daily driver...time to start getting rides to school again :biggrin:

How long was the oil filter off of the car? The system may have lost it's prime. Good luck. Jon Hanson

whenever i change my oil, I plug the ECU connection (little orange wire by the battery) and prime for at least 30 seconds so I have pressure when I start the car.
Its pretty normal for cars not to have any oil pressure for a few seconds after you replace the filter.

whenever i change my oil, I plug the ECU connection (little orange wire by the battery) and prime for at least 30 seconds so I have pressure when I start the car.
Its pretty normal for cars not to have any oil pressure for a few seconds after you replace the filter.

That's what I did (although I probably only primed it for about 15 seconds) but I let it run for a few minutes afterwards... The noise started out pretty quiet, but after running it for a few minutes it got louder so I decided it'd be better to turn it off and investigate. That's when I pulled the valve cover and noticed zero oil was coming out...

EDIT: Yes, the oil light does come on and stay on. I don't have an oil pressure gauge (I might go get one soon), but no oil coming from the lifters when I took off the valve covers so if there is any pressure, it's barely anything. I think tomorrow after school I'm going to drop the oil pan and look in there...if I don't find anything, I guess I'll start pulling off stuff to get ready to change out the oil pump...

I think tomorrow after school I'm going to drop the oil pan and look in there...if I don't find anything, I guess I'll start pulling off stuff to get ready to change out the oil pump...

I'm not sure if you know this trick, but I had to drop the pan recently and I pulled the bolts for the mounts, jacked the motor up, stuck the bolts through the holes, and set the mounts on the bolts. It gave me enough clearance to get the pan off and back on.

Pull the cam sensor and try to prime the pump with a drill. I would try that before pulling the pan.

If you have a cam sensor tool unplug the cam sensor and plug in. then turn the crank till the light goes on.
This should be close to the 1.45" ATDC
Now set it at 1.45"
pull the cam Sensor and prime the pump
Now it's easy to reinstall the sensor just follow the directions

If you don't have the cam/oil pump priming tool, you can remove the top oil cooler hose at the radiator. Put a small funnel into the hose and pour some oil in.
It will be slow; pour in about 12-14 oz, and reconnect the hose.
This should prime the pump if you don't have the cam/oil pump priming tool.
This has worked for me.

Gary