Not as fast as a lightning

momau3

Okay I'm bored and wondered around the web and found this site http://www.forums.svtperformance.com/

Read a kill story about a lightning killing a "Gran Nat times 3" and one of the responses was;
"Good kill. GN's are fast, but not as fast as a lightning." :rolleyes:

Sounds like some people still don't know the power of the dark side. :cool:

Damn Lightnings are quick but it sounds like this dude has looked at one too many magazine tests and not actually raced one side by side.

I hate to break it to you guys, but the stock lightning is faster then the GN and T-Type:(

DoPeY you maybe right stock for stock. Kick a## trucks wouldn't mind in my drive way. But who keeps theirs stock ;)

But it's semantics mod to mod. I don't think this guy has seen or raced a gn/ttype or he wouldn't be so quick to judge. Peace.

momau3-
I completely agree with you about the mod for mod part. A barely modded GN/T-Type will give a heavely modded L a run for the money. Believe it or not I actually know some1 who has kept their GN stock!!! This guy knows his cars and loves them. I think he has like 15,000 total miles on his car. This thing is gorgeous, but it is nothing compared to his chevelle ss. I think it is a 70 chevelle ss and this thing is absolutely the best looking car I have ever seen. I think hes had it since he was 15!!! Not to mention the 500cu BB chevy he has in it rates way up on my damn thats awesome list ;)

Originally posted by DoPeY
. Believe it or not I actually know some1 who has kept their GN stock!!!

Yeah same here...i dont think anyone on this board has a stock TR, but I know at least 2 TRs that are bone stock.

Well, my first GN('86) was totally stock other than a test pipe instead of the cat. That's the only mod that it had when I got it. Absolutely nothing else done to the car and it moved. It was a non-posi and had aluminum drums, so maybe that helped a little...not with the tirespin though... I now have several and most are modded in one way, shape, or form. The 85T-Type I'm parting out was never modded other than exhaust(just cat-back) but that's still a mod. The car is rusted up anyway, so it's more of a neglect thing than someone trying to keep it nice and original anyway. It's got 105k miles and looks like it worked for every single tenth. The 84GN I have has only the ignition mod and a test pipe. Nothing else. They're out there, but they are few and far between. That guy is a bench racer though. He's never raced one. Maybe an old sport coupe with the carb setup or somethin...

My best friend HAD(was stolen just before he was going to sell it) a 2001(oops) lightning. My '87 with a moonroof would blister his ass. Don't get me wrong, that truck was fast too and has plenty of power, but have you seen the weight of those things? He used to get so mad at the fact that that old Buick was faster than his new expensive truck. Anyway, maybe it was him, or maybe it was me, but his truck didn't impress me to much.

Just my .02

Kudo's to who ever went over to the svtperformance website under "svt-this" ;) and posted:

WANNA RACE AN 86 WITH $6000 IN THE WHOLE CAR PUT TOGETHER THAT ONLY RUNS LOWS 12'S. I THINK YOUR STORY IS INTRESTING BUT YOU RACED AN 82 -85 MODEL GN THE SLOWER ONES MUCH SLOWER. EVEN IF YOU RACED AN 86 OR 87 YOU MUST HAVE GOTTEN TO RACE HIM IN HIS STOCK GN AND WHY DONT YOU SPELL IT RIGHT. ITS GRAND NATIONAL. NOT GRAN NATIONAL

Naaah!

Two nights ago, I put the smack down on a '02 Lightning..I usually don't post my kills on here but since you guys mentioned it :) I raced him twice, once from a slow slow roll and then from a 30 mph roll...Both times I walked away from real hard :D My friend that was in the passenger seat owns an 88 Mustang GT heavily modded and he was dyin laughing! He said to stop picking on those Ford boys;) But, I will say.....Those things are real quick for what they are! I wouldn't mind having one!!

FYI....

Stock 99/00 L's are high 13 to low 14 second rides stock.

Stock 01/02 L's are mid-high 13 second rides stock.

Of course they are VERY heavy, but the positive-displacement blowers produce lots of power in the low-mid rpm range, so they get moving pretty quickly. Like a Sy/Ty, they aren't very fast in a high-speed roll.

They are still in production, and there is an active and rapidly growing aftermarket for them. Obviously they are going to be more expensive to mod than a TR, but then again, they are much more expensive to start with, and newer technology almost always means bigger bucks. Additionally, it generally takes more money/mods to get a blower to put out significantly more boost than a turbo motor.

The quickest stock-block L I have seen was running mid 11's (street truck). That doesn't mean its the quickest out there, and I don't know what he had, but simply that this is the quickest one I've seen. Many are in the 12's (low, mid, and high), and there are plenty of 13 second versions too (ie....almost totally stock).

This is for info only, guys and gals. :)

Lightnings are nice trucks and quick for a 5000 pound truck, but from my expereinces racing them, the race is usually over after i decide to go full throttle.:D

Shoebox

Originally posted by DoPeY
I hate to break it to you guys, but the stock lightning is faster then the GN and T-Type:(

and how long did it take technology to catch up to the speeds of the old 80's tech of the turbo regals? most new cars today will run faster STOCK FOR STOCK than a turbo regal sure...but let's see what each one does with little mods...i don't think there is a car out there that is as easy to make faster than a turbo regal...it's so easy it's ridiculous:D

Looks like it's black and white

I just stopped over at the SVT website and read the current posts. The Lightning truck owner plainly says that the kid with the GN Claimed "stock except for exhaust", and the truck was "un-stock". Looks like we need to find that kid and teach him how to turn up the boost or something! Oh well, you win some, you tie some. - BB

Lightning? mmmmmmmmm breakfast. Like a blank panther pouncing on a rabbit! No chance in hell. Ive eaten plenty or lightnings asses and they sure the hell dont enjoy it. I love it when i smoke some fool in his 40000+ car....hmmm what did i pay for my beast? 9000$ and have put in so far about 4000-5000$? My car will continue to appreciate in value while that 40000+ **** box lightning or whatever continues to depreciate. LOL. AHHHH I love these cars!:D :D :D :D :D :D

Hmmmm

I found out the other day that the truck I ran was not stock...It had some bolt-ons like exhaust, smaller charger pulley, etc...It hung pretty well for a trcuk...But of course...No Match...He was cool though:)