Noob Question>> NA 3.8 with TUrbo

Well at least you're showing me some pics finally.:biggrin: What's the stroke? Looks like a stock one but the pics a little small.:eek:

its the stock 3" stroke, I couldnt afford a decent stroker and with the 3" I have some chevy 302 pistons on the shelf that will drop right in.

And Yes Jessie, I did indeed say Super Duty....... The Tin Indian LIVES.

:biggrin: A.j.

Now my only question is how ya gonna power it. Draw through or ??? What you planning on putting it in when you're done.

Now my only question is how ya gonna power it. Draw through or ??? What you planning on putting it in when you're done.

will be blow thru, I need to keep something that I can pass emmisions on. I have a megasquirt ECU, the TBI off of a 350 caprice, another Engle Custom grind, carrillo rods, Stock Buick 86/87 turbo, stock 86/87 intercooler, and a Camaro T5.

This is going into an S10. all of my friends run V8s and laugh at my 4 banger, (they know better on the LUVs) so im out to change there opinion.

A.j.

WHAT??? You running a puter? I don't believe it. Just make sure the tranny isn't from the 4 cylinder originally. They don't hold up, ask me how I know.

Wait a minute...I want in on this, GIMMIE DETAILS:biggrin:

LOL Jesse, it's something Aj. has been working on for a while. I gave him a small hand with it and he's been VERY quiet about the details so far. Other than the fact he's been working on the Poncho he hasn't shared to much.:tongue:

Why dont you just find you a 82-85( 4.1) they have the right crank, and rods, put some hypers pistons in and roll!

Yup that's what I'd do. Even if you can't find one, get a piston and bearing kit for a 3.8 that is good, slap it together and roll.

But most likely, you'd probably have less than 1000 bucks into rebuilding that motor. There's an 83 getting parted out, why don't you see if you can buy the motor off him?

ok ok, I'll give ya'll some details and more pics. but we need to quit hijacking!

LOL

usually my fault!

any ideas as to where we could chat about such progress....

:confused: A.j.

I think we're all guilty on this one. Sorry Ren. You could always send me an email and I can pass it on to Jess from there. That's just about all I can think of right now.

Or it could go to the lounge.

Hey Ren, I think the rebuild kit should be around 250-300. Probably have another 300 in machine shop, and about 100 for odd and ends (plug wires, plugs, intake and turbo gaskets, etc. It shouldn't be that bad, and you'll have a good motor to start modding:cool:

I will be running an N/A 3.8 under boost, but it'll be a bit before I get to that project. It's in a 79 Lemans Wagon. I do have all the parts collected though, including a running 84 N/A engine I got off ebay for $9.99 (it was local so no shipping either)! I specifically looked for the later engine because I know the heads are better and the bottom end is stronger than my 79. I plan to just stab an 86-87 stock turbo cam in it along with valve springs off a set of very low mile TR heads I got off ebay for $45 (again local..no shipping). Here are some more parts I have collected so far:

Several 84-85 GN turbos
A new set of those chinese SS 86-87 headers off someone here
holley 4bbl intake
Carb hat
A holley 550 cfm 4360 carb I had on the shelf

Every part except the headers was either free or under $50. I plan to make my own meth/h20 injection setup and rig up an old MSD timing control that used to be on my truck with a hobbs switch to retard the timing.

Cast pistons can survive boost but they do not forgive detonation....at all. We'll see what happens but I'm trying to see how cheap I can build this. Heck the car is rust free and only cost me $300. If I blow it up I'll just go find another dirt cheap 3.8

Sounds fun, Your build is going to be very close to what I built in my '84 Regal. Those SS headers are really nice that's what I run. What kind of carb hat do you have?

Hey WarWagon...so how's that thing run? Just curious what I can expect. I figure maybe around 250 hp with the smaller 84-85 turbo but lots of torque.

My carb hat is one of those ones they sell on ebay like this one Blow Through Carb Hat Throttle Body Turbo Bonnet:eBay Motors (item 170255587766 end time Aug-21-09 13:20:16 PDT). When they first came out they were only going for $49.99.

How did you mount the alternator? The original 84 bracket that came with the 84 engine is right where the turbo is and it's in the same place on my 79 as well. I think I can modify the 79 bracket to move the alternator lower, below the turbo though because it's just basic stamped steel brackets instead of the chunk of cast aluminum on the 84.

By the way, I see your taste in cars is as eclectic as mine LOL. I like the nailhead in the 82 regal. It's much more fun to do things that haven't been done a million times before.

That is a good carb hat, looks like the exact one I use it's a Spectre peice with 4" inlet. I made my own ALT braket and welded it ontop of the power steering base bracket. It was the only place I could put it since the HEI is so huge (still had to slice off one of the 4 hook mounts on the cap to get it to clear the intake manifold so the timing could be adjusted). check it out here:http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/members-rides-friends-family/278085-here-84-regal-thread.html
My particular setup runs very strong, before it was tuned and intercooled and had low timing set it put down 290hp and 400ft/lbs to the wheels. Now it has a good tune and has the intercooler. I broke it 3 days before I was supposed to take it back to the dyno (dead #2 cylinder). But I'm sure it has close to 400hp if it isn't slightly above that, Our biggest differences are that I use huge carb 800cfm Mighty Demon and I have a 100hp wet shot of nitrous. I'm in the process of prepping an '85 t-type block to accept my entire setup to stick back in the car with my now 4th transmission.

Looks like we have got more compettion..... I love a good challange.

so the battle rages....... whos gonna make that magic 10.99 first?:tongue:

been kinda quiet around here lately huh?

good to se everyone!

:biggrin: A.j.