non turbo to turbo conversion...

Wagondraggin

2nd ugliest car on d site
ok i know a million people have asked this question but how hard is it to put a turbo motor into a non turbo 87 regal.. i have an extra 87 engine and i found the cleanest regal i've ever seen its too bad it isn't a t type or gn.. this thing is perfect.. i mean like new.. 29000 miles.. a real to life granny car. still smells like pollydent.. 1400 obo i think i'm going to buy it.. i'll offer 900.. ;)

i'd love to gn-ize this thing let me know and don't jump on me too bad..

I've basically done this....went from a hot air to an intercooled drivetrain.

It isn't hard at all as long as you have ALL of the parts. Assuming your car already has a 200r4 and not the 3 speed tranny, all you'll need is the COMPLETE engine with all accessories, wiring harness, torque converter, AC lines, ECM, etc. Don't forget the rear end and tranny if you want it to hold up. Also, you might want to consider upgrading the suspension to heavy duty springs to get rid of the granny ride.

Some people will tell you to just buy a GN or Ttype because it can and will get expensive fast. I, however, understand the deals you can find in a NA regal. I've got one with 50,000 miles for cheap that I'm planning to do the same swap with.

Good luck.

Where did you relocate the fuel filter to? I will be doing the swap shortly on my '85. Any pointers? :) Thanks!

Find a wrecked or barely running parts car..There are way too many things you'll be chasing.The radiator is different the tranny is diifferent. Turbo cars even had a different steering box and sway bars.. Even the gas tank is different on a fuel injected car.It's not a bad swap if you have everything.. Been there ,done that. It'll be a blast when you get it all done George

not typically. you'll need the intank pump, fuel lines (supply and return), pump hanger, etc etc ad nausea. wiring harness for a turbo motor is a bunch different from what I know, way more sensors all over... maf, map, tps, knock, you get the idea. casper's electronics I think it is should be able to hook you up with the electronics side of the conversion.

i have a motor and trans i have a harness and a computer is the motor and trans a bolt in ? i would think it is...

Yes, motor and trans are bolt in.

Its the little nickel and dime stuff thats gonna get you. Ive been there. My Regal was free! (Was grandpas car, cant beat that). My swap was done many years ago, before this site was in its prime, and it took a lot of work to get things sorted out.
The best way, as was said earlier, is to have a parts car to get what you need from. That was my situation, and I still ended up having to get stuff that either didnt work, was busted, or whatever, in addition. I ended up getting a different trans (cuz the one in the parts car was shot) going through 2 ECMs, getting a gas tank and having to take it back because they got me the wrong one, etc etc.
Even if you buy a parts car, be careful and make sure everything works before you do the swap. Ideally, you want to hear it run at the very least! You dont want to get a non-running car and then rack your brains trying to figure out why it wont run after you do the swap. You will have enough problems without worrying if the stuff you bought was good in the first place like I did. We ended up throwing a lot of parts at mine after the swap to get it running right.
Good luck!!

Originally posted by Geoff87
Where did you relocate the fuel filter to? I will be doing the swap shortly on my '85. Any pointers? :) Thanks!

I bought a spin on fuel filter assembly from a diesel garage my brother works at. It looks like an oil filter, but it is meant for fuel. It only cost about $35 or $45 and I'm sure it filters way better than any stock inline filter. The thing is huge. I have it mounted below the trunk, in front of the gas tank. It has flexible fuel injection specific, high psi rubber hose going to and from it. The best part is that the replacement filters are cheap (under $10) and so easy to change. They spin on and off just like an oil filter.

That spin on filter sounds like a great idea!
I have to redo all my fuel lines anyway (thank you NY winters) which is why my car is put away.
Anyone know a good place to get replacement lines?

-Justin, any part numbers on that filter setup? Photos? I would be really interested in seeing how you have that setup!

Originally posted by SilverSleeper
That spin on filter sounds like a great idea!
I have to redo all my fuel lines anyway (thank you NY winters) which is why my car is put away.
Anyone know a good place to get replacement lines?

-Justin, any part numbers on that filter setup? Photos? I would be really interested in seeing how you have that setup!

I will try to get the part numbers ASAP and also pics. My car is currently away from home. I should have the details within the next week or so. I do know it is a DONALDSON unit.

Those spin on diesel filter kits aer usuall pre pump and will not hold the post pump pressure. Also those setups are usually the pre filters. They do not catch the really small stuff and could cause contamination of the rail, injectors or regulator.

Originally posted by machinegun
Those spin on diesel filter kits aer usuall pre pump and will not hold the post pump pressure. Also those setups are usually the pre filters. They do not catch the really small stuff and could cause contamination of the rail, injectors or regulator.

It is NOT for a diesel engine. It is from a diesel shop. It is made for a specific fuel injected gasoline truck. I am not sure what truck it is for, but I do know that it is installed post pump on the truck. Also, this is the ONLY fuel filter on the truck so I'm sure it will suffice for the Buick. I will get more details from my brother who got me the filter setup.