Noisy t-top,s Wind Noise

timmanis2000

I bought my 87 GN last Sept. When I first bought the car the t-tops didn,t make any noise at all..I took them out 1 time and now the wind noise is unbelievable..Is there anything that I could wipe on the rubber seal to help take the noise out. It is just on the passenger side..Do they need to be adjusted? New seals? I need suggestions..This may have been the first and only time the t-tops have ever been taken out. I need suggestions.

The first thing to do is determine where the leak is coming from. That will tell you where to adjust.
Try adjusting them first. Check your anti rattle strips they normaly dry rot. They are the least exspenive to replace as well. Worst case scenario you can armor all them to swell slightly but that will not last.

I will try to adjust first..I might as well go ahead and get the anti-rattle strips as well..1 more question. Does anyone know if the original ttops bags, are the just solid black? No GM or Buick emblem on them?

I will try to adjust first..I might as well go ahead and get the anti-rattle strips as well..1 more question. Does anyone know if the original ttops bags, are the just solid black? No GM or Buick emblem on them?

First find where it is leaking then adjust to that point.
GM logo is on the bags. If it isn't you may have one of our aftermarket T-top bags which are identical but no GM logo.

T Roofs

Welcome To The World Of T Tops. Are You Sure They Are Leaking? Yrs Ago, Our Gm Rep Called This Noise "wind Rush"..hard To Believe After Taking Glass Roof Off One Or A Few Times,now There Is A Problem. Pull The Plastic Cover Off The Glass Roof,check The 2 7mm Bolts On Each End Of The T Roof Housing,maby One Of These Bolts Came Loose, Or Lost Adjustment..good Luck With This..

All the above advice is good. I would check your trunk ID label make sure it reads CC1 for T-Top option code. No code means you got aftermarket tops which may explain if your T-Top bags are plain? Just a thought. If they are aftermarket T-Tops finding replacement seals will be an issue.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

past owner of many 1986-1987 Turbo Regals

I will check my ID label. My car is at kevinb house right now..I blew a head gasket, so I decided to do some upgrades to my car now..kevinb is doing my build

No fun blowing head gasket usually means engine rebuild especially the longer it sits....I blew two motors way back when we would test different products back in the late 1980s. Seeing that chocolate milk color on the oil dip stick is pretty disheartening. Good luck

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I know alittle about Turbo Regals enough to fill a book or two.

I will check my ID label. My car is at kevinb house right now..I blew a head gasket, so I decided to do some upgrades to my car now..kevinb is doing my build

Tim's car has factory t-tops. Very nice car too. 24K miles on the dial. I think the problem came from the ttops never being removed in 20 years:eek: There is no dry rotting. My belief is that the seals are just smashed down from all those years. I wonder if removing the t-tops for a few days will let the seals reform...or is it too late??

Lucky for Tim, the car did not sit long with the milkshake in the pan. He was fortunate enough not to have to drive the car after it happened. All the bearings look like they survived:) We are keeping our fingers crossed;)

Waste Gate Line

Was The Waste Gate Hose Hard And Cracked. I Learned This The Hard Way On My First Gn,i,m Sure Dennis Has These In Stock,by The Way, It's Nice To Hear Dennis Chime In On A Few Of These Issues.his Open House I Getting Close, Enjoyed The Last One Last Year.you Otta Check It Out..

appreciate the kind words Bill. Already hearing from people palnning on coming to our Open House rain or shine April 18th. Some probably for the Yum yum donuts, others from the northeast wanting to break away from the terrible winter we have had.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Owner of a few Turbo Regals over the years.

I guess Jays GN told you I nailed that tree stump on his property pretty good with my car trailer the other week.

Was The Waste Gate Hose Hard And Cracked. I Learned This The Hard Way On My First Gn,i,m Sure Dennis Has These In Stock,by The Way, It's Nice To Hear Dennis Chime In On A Few Of These Issues.his Open House I Getting Close, Enjoyed The Last One Last Year.you Otta Check It Out..

It was the wastegate hose. Good call!

I'd love to come out to the Kirban open house, but it's a little far for me.

Forgive the newbie!

Forgive the newbie!

Are you referring to the line coming from the solenoid on the valve cover??

Thanks.

Forgive the newbie!

Are you referring to the line coming from the solenoid on the valve cover??

Thanks.

He is talking about the vacuum line that runs from the solenoid, to a special Y connector, then to the turbo and also the wastegate. If that line blows off, the boost will go sky high.

I was @ Kevins house sat. the seals looked fine just smashed down some. the anti rattle strips look fine also. However the top that is making the noise has alot of play in it..I will need to adjust the t-top on that side. Kevin has done a awesome job for me. Kevin I ordered that triple chrome up pipe from Kirbanperformance this afternoon. They are gonna send it to your house.

I was @ Kevins house sat. the seals looked fine just smashed down some. the anti rattle strips look fine also. However the top that is making the noise has alot of play in it..I will need to adjust the t-top on that side. Kevin has done a awesome job for me. Kevin I ordered that triple chrome up pipe from Kirbanperformance this afternoon. They are gonna send it to your house.

Sounds good Tim. The car sounds mean without the exhaust hooked up:D