No start!

TRIPLEJ

Got the GN out of storage after coming off a six month deployment. Initially, I drove it into storage. Car ran ok. Car sat for almost a year. Tried to crank it and drive it home. No start! No fuel pressure at rail. Pulled tank. Nice and rusty. Replaced tank, new fuel pump, pulsator, filter, hot wire kit and adjustable regulator. NO START! No pressure at rail. Relay seems to be working, it clicks once I turn key on at least. Replugged in original harness to bypass hotwire kit. NO START! 15 amp fuse is good. I put about 10 dollars worth of gas in it. Can anyone help?
Thanks, J
"GO NAVY!"

I seem to have that same problem. If I just barely turn the key to prime the car before Id turn the key fully to start it, it doesnt prime at all, but when the keys fully turned I hear a click??

Don

I was hoping you would hear the pump, because all that would mean is that the pump wires weren't reconnected correctly and it's running in reverse. Been there, done that.

Hmmm, sounds like you either have a ground problem or a bad relay.

I agree. The relay is good however. Gonna trace the wires from the tank to the compartment and check things out.

There's supposed to be a bypass connection near the alternator to power the pump directly. Or you could unplug the connector at the back bumper and hook up a continuity tester light, then turning the key to see if you get the two second prime voltage supply.

What connection would that be? This thing sat for over a year. I drove it, then shut it down. Now nothing!

Now we're on the same thread :) I'd try a test lead from the fuel pump sender metal to ground at the frame. I just had this problem on an `87 T that had sat most of the winter. Once I got a good ground the fuel pump ran fine. I removed the sender and cleaned the rust from the retainer ring and the tank then I had a mesh ground strap welded to the tank and secured it to the frame at the bumper shock bolt. Solid ground beats 18 year rust everytime. :cool:

Good Luck - Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy. Gonna drop the tank again! The sending unit had some rust. Just gonna check everything out again and be done with it. I think this is where my problem is. Everything else seems to check out fine.

Dropped the tank. Everything looked fine. Wiggled some wires around, had a friend bump the key. After a few tries... the Walbro came to life! Fixed the connection.... I should be hearing the TA49 spin up in an hour!