NO start sounds out of time

85 conversion

the 9's are in my reach!
was driving my car around last night with no problems, parked at local hangout to chat with freinds went to start car and wont start. It has spark and fuel but only sputters and sometimes even backfires reeeally bad. I do have the caspers cam cap with the light and it flashing wile the engine turns over. I thought maybe crank sensor but wouldnt that stop the spark? or just throw it out of time? It does acutally sound like the car is out of time but dont see that it could be any mechanicle issue, must be a sensor or electricle. Any help would be great!!! Thanks guys!

was driving my car around last night with no problems, parked at local hangout to chat with freinds went to start car and wont start. It has spark and fuel but only sputters and sometimes even backfires reeeally bad. I do have the caspers cam cap with the light and it flashing wile the engine turns over. I thought maybe crank sensor but wouldnt that stop the spark? or just throw it out of time? It does acutally sound like the car is out of time but dont see that it could be any mechanicle issue, must be a sensor or electricle. Any help would be great!!! Thanks guys!

i had the same problem it was the cam sensor

can you crank it enough for the scanmaster to catch a code...change sm to mal and crank it for abit to see if it catches anything ...at the same time have someone unplug the maf sensor just when it sputters.

took cam sensor cap off found that the disk in there just spins. is that philleps head screw supposed to come out to get that disk off? Its really tight and i dont want to break it off.

Yep

took cam sensor cap off found that the disk in there just spins. is that philleps head screw supposed to come out to get that disk off? Its really tight and i dont want to break it off.

thats what the screw is there to do... retain the reluctor.
Sounds like the tang that drives the reluctor has sheared off.
I think RJC has a fix for that.

I don't know what's the story w cam sensor,but your problem sound similiar when my crank sensor wire was frayed. It was rubbing and when it did she would sputter run like a dog,stall and wouldn't restart. Never hurts to give a glance

Hi,
If you are talking about the screw that retains the hall effect vane,LEAVE IT ALONE. There are a couple of things you don't want to mess with, and that is one of 'em. You will end up replacing the entire sensor assembly if you mess that up.
It's not uncommon to make the mistake of destroying the cam sensor, so try not to make that mistake.
Good luck with your issue.
Dale

Just to let you know unplug your cam sensor and crank your motor if it spins free that it. if it locks up not the cam sensor that is how I pin pointed my problem