No start, no injector pulse, no spark

hey all, I purchased an 84 riviera really original car. Bought the car not starting for a great price.

The owner switched the ignition module over to tbe 86-87 module. I have tested every wire and went through the vortex Buick no start tree. I can't ever get spark or injector pulse. I went through the wire job on the new module and found out he had the crank signal and ground wires backwards. Fixed that and still nothing. Module is in good working order. I put it on my regal turbo T and it fired right up.

Kind of lost. Was thinking the oil pressure switch but not real sure how to test it. Any help is much appreciated

I was thinking that as well. Is there a cross reference of what ecms will work? Or is it strictly a 84 85 turbo engine?

there should be a list somewhere on this site. search for it and youll find your answer. its the easiest thing to rule out once you test it with a known good unit. also make sure it is even plugged in..it is the small orange wire next to the battery. you issue sounds like a bad ecm but it could be a number of things. I had the same problem a while back.

Get a new crank sensor. There's a good chance it was fried when the wires were reversed. A bad crank sensor will cause those symptoms.

Did some more testing this weekend. I swapped my 87 regal t type ecm out and made no progress. The serial number on my ecm indicated it would work. Not sure how much I believe that. Info have a known good 84 ecm on the way.

I have gone over all the ignition module wiring per 3 different websites. Plus my own research from the adapter kit Casper sells and various wiring diagrams.

I have followed procedures to try and get some information. I have jumped out the crank and cam sensor at the module with a test light in the injector harness and had no luck.

Went through all of the ignition module wiring and insured no shorts or any other issues.

Will the crank sensor cause me to not be able to get any injector pulse even when I have the harness from the module jumped??

Thank you all for the help.

Have you tested the voltage at the crank sensor? When they swapped the module did the swap to the newer style crank sensor? The ha sensors have two wires reversed when comparing the 86-87.

I would probe the crank sensor trigger wire and the ground and use a breaker bar on the crank bolt and turn the engine by hand with the ignition on run. If it is good you will see the voltage vary between 0 and 7 volts as you turn it. If you see this happening move up to the ecm and using the pin out on gnttype find the crank trigger wire and turn the motor over by hand and you should see the voltage vary 0 to 7 volts.

You can follow these same steps to check your cam sensor .

I feel your pain I'm going through the same problem. I can't get the injectors to trigger. Very frustrating. I've narrowed mine down to the ecm isn't controlling the grounds. I'm on the 4th ecm and I'm afraid to plug it in lol. Good luck.

Alright good to know. Thank you for the insight and help.

I think I am going to purchase a 86-87 style crank sensor and swap over to that style anyways. I had an issue on my regal where the interrupter rings were a little out of shape and actually touched the sensor causing damage. I did notice that the crank sensor wiring has been tampered with. I'm going to pull the harness and re-wire it correctly so that I am 100% sure of the circuits integrity and that its good to go.

Good luck with yours as well. If this is my problem I will have a spare ecm that I will make sure works if you're still having ecm problems

I chased a no fire problem in an old 84 T Type I had. Turned out that when the previous owner installed a new crank sensor, he set it so the interrupter ring passed through the wrong groove on the sensor. Found that out after a lot of expensive parts were replaced.

Sounds good. I am converting it over to the 87 style crank sensor. I will report back to everyone with the progress when I finish tonight. Thank you all again for your help!

Found my problem!
Switched over to the 86-87 crank sensor wired it in correctly per my wiring diagrams and boom fired right up. Now I just have to put everything back together and pretty it all up.

Thanks again everyone for the help. FYI if anyone wants to do the 86-87 crank sensor you will need to purchase the electric pig tail for the new sensor as the hot air sensor is hard wired at the sensor. My oreillys stocked the pig tail I can provide a part number of interested.

Found my problem!
Switched over to the 86-87 crank sensor wired it in correctly per my wiring diagrams and boom fired right up. Now I just have to put everything back together and pretty it all up.

Thanks again everyone for the help. FYI if anyone wants to do the 86-87 crank sensor you will need to purchase the electric pig tail for the new sensor as the hot air sensor is hard wired at the sensor. My oreillys stocked the pig tail I can provide a part number of interested.

Hi Mark- I am interested in that pig tail part number if you have it handy... Considering that upgrade due to my no-start condition.

Okay Mark, I'm going to await feedback on the board; however, I'm leaning towards my crank sensor as the culprit. You issues sound similar to mine.

I have the part number you provided on the pigtail above. Where did you get the 87 crank sensor, and how hard was it to actually replace. Any feedback would be much appreciated - I also have to validate my harness. Thanks again.

I got the sensor from oreillys as well. I have had good luck with the Borg Warner stuff. Make sure you get the crank sensor that comes with the mounting bracket.

The new mounting bracket bolts right up where the old bracket was.

I got the sensor from oreillys as well. I have had good luck with the Borg Warner stuff. Make sure you get the crank sensor that comes with the mounting bracket.

The new mounting bracket bolts right up where the old bracket was.

Will do, Mark. How much did the harness, bracket, and sensor run you?