No start... Here we go again

84turbo6

So all was fine car was running good, then get off work Friday, started right up drove about a mile then just cut out,? I checked and I got fuel in the rail, didn't have right things to check for spark,I pulled the oil dipstick and smelled of 98 octane bad and I changed the oil Mabey 8 days ago I checked the fuel pressure regulator no gas or smell? Any help?

Are you saying you had fuel in the oil and none in the regulator? Did you check for codes? Need more info.

Ok, First like the above poster said , did you check for codes at the ALDL location. ( Paper clip or wire jumper) New check engine light? ( Fuel -Air- Spark ) When you say you have fuel in the rail, do you mean constant pressure? If so that means your fuel pump is working. Checking for spark can be as easy as pulling a plug wire, setting it close to metal and watching the spark jump. ( Crude but effective, I used to put the wire between the hood ( when it's open and the windshield wiper area) and turn the car over). Next you need to check air. ( Sorry I am a little out of my league on the hot airs) The only times that my daily 87 has every shut down on me was TPS sensor ( throttle pin broke), Mass Air Flow sensor and fuel pump went out. I have always had spark. After reading it again it really just sounds like a fuel pump. The gas smell that you are getting could be blowby or pvc valve leaking under boost?

I have not checked for codes, the SES light as well as all electronics on dash dont work, yes their is a constant pressure at the rail,the fuel pump I put in about 2 months ago, I found gas in the oil before it cut out and thought it was the regulator but I did the test and it wasn't bad, I'll check for spark when I get out of work, and I can hear the loud sound of the fuel pump turning on, maybey it can still be bad? Let me do some more checking g

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Maybe your SES light is just a bulb blown out. Maybe if you put in a bulb and it worked ,you could get to your next level of troubleshooting. If it doesn't work, it may point you to your ECM. Grab a meter and or 12V test light and check your ECM fuse, while your'e at it. If you are getting constant fuel pressure at the rail, I doubt if it is the fuel pump. By the way what is your fuel pressure? If you just have an adjustable regulator on there and no way of knowing what your pressure is you could be washing your cylinders down with fuel and keeping the car really really rich for your gas smells. Good Luck!

I just put in a new ecu Mabey 4 months ago, is there something that could be making it go out? I have not done much digging today as I get off work late, but let me test a few things then I will get back to you guys

Strange, everything on the no start checklist, so far, has been changed very recently. Are you using GM parts, upgraded aftermarket or the Auto Zone/Pep Boy remanned pieces? Why did you change the ecu and fuel pump? You are going to have to get your codes read somehow.

The fuel pump went out so I changed it, and the car ran for a little while then it started acting up then finally wouldn't start I went through everything turns out the ecu got wet so i changed it, and I didn't use the lowest of the low I tried to get the best i could, without spending to much as im going to sell the car

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ok, sometimes good GM (used) is better than the remanned/ new stuff. These cars are love hate relationships. Too bad you want to sell it.