No MPH reading

1BAD_GN

1BAD_GN
As the title says, my scanmaster stopped receiving a signal for MPH. Also torque converter stopped locking up in overdrive and sometimes SES light flashes on.

Sounds like the speed sensor died.. it's on the back side of the cluster and bolts to the cluster with a 5mm screw. Looks like a little LED bulb.

Probably salvage yard or post into the wanted section. I actually have the same issue. Replaced my cluster with another used one a few months ago and the sensor died. now, I'm going to have to rob the old cluster to get it to rework.

Looks like you can actually buy a new one from standard motor products for less than $75 or so. I just saw them on ebay.

It's real name is a ''VSS sender'' if that helps with your search. No idea where to buy one as I've never heard of one going bad. Fast food parts houses might have a listing.

or just put up a 'part wanted' ad in the 'parts wanted section. There's enough disassembled dashes floating around you can probably score a used one.

Rock auto parts are discontinuing the part you need vss sensor and have a few left for 30.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is doing the same thing. I ordered a VSS sensor from a someone on this board as well. Hope it fixes the problem.

Last edited:
I just posted that Amazon pic for reference only. The listing says it doesn't fit a 1987 GN, not sure why, but it is way too expensive anyway. If they are $30 at RockAuto I would buy it there (and maybe a spare as I think they are going by by). Yes, sensor and buffer is the same thing.

Yes! Looked expensive to me as well. Thanks for the info. Also, thanks 1Bad_GN for this post. Helped me out a great deal!

Unless you have a digital dash, be ready to pay!