No Boost!

rickybgn

I just put a te44 on my gn and everything is hooked up, but i'm not getting any compression and it doesn't even seem to be spooling up. I tried adjusting the wastegate but it doesn't make a difference. Am i just dealing with a bad turbo?

What down pipe? My old TE-44 which was ported for a THDP would not build any boost with the stock elbow as the WG hole was much larger than the puck.

i'm using my stock downpipe and elbow.. i do have a 3" from poston buick but i don't have an elbow to connect it...

What down pipe? My old TE-44 which was ported for a THDP would not build any boost with the stock elbow as the WG hole was much larger than the puck.

Any exhaust leaks, pre turbo?
Does the wastegate rod have tension on it when installed? Meaning, do you pull the rod with some force over to attach it to the swing valve? Or is it adjusted out enough to crack open the swing valve when installed?
Could you have blown a turbo hose off?
Are all the turbo hose clamps tight?
All vacuum lines installed?
Did you go from a stock turbo/stock torque converter combo, to just bolting on a TE-44?
If so, you would definitely see some turbo lag.

We need more info and we're all here to help.

Patrick

i'm using my stock downpipe and elbow.. i do have a 3" from poston buick but i don't have an elbow to connect it...

Check the size of the WG hole in the exhaust housing and the size of the puck - there is a good chance the hole is larger than the puck - if so you will never build boost until the problem is fixed.

Check the size of the WG hole in the exhaust housing and the size of the puck - there is a good chance the hole is larger than the puck - if so you will never build boost until the problem is fixed.

by puck are you refering to the dounut between the down pipe and the turbo?

im having this exact same issue on my trans am.. no boost at all and a te44 was just put on it..

thanks,

by puck are you refering to the dounut between the down pipe and the turbo?

By "puck" I mean the round piece of metal about the size of a quarter or fifty-cent piece that swings inside of the downpipe - or stock elbow if you still have that. It must be large enough to completely cover the hole in the exhaust housing of the turbo.

If the wastegate puck/flapper is open....you have a really expensive muffler. That is how the system regulates boost. Closed = boost ramp, open = bypass to hold pre-set boost level.

How about the little "Y" fitting that goes from the compressor to the wastegate actuator? Is it there? Is it on correctly?

in my case.. the y is there and connected..is it right? i think so..it worked before with the stock turbo..

if the issue is the flapper how do i go about fixing the problem.as this sounds like it is most likly the problem. i get absolutly no boost at all..turbo is doing nothing at all..i also have a atr dp on the car.

So i finally got a chance to look at the legendary "puck" and yall were right! my wastegate hole is 1/4 larger than the puck...

so am i supposed to find a new puck or a new elbow entirely? and where should i look?

Thanks for all the help i really appreciate it :)

A Terry Houston style downpipe would most likely solve the problem. I have also heard that RJC - a vendor here - sells a kit so that the puck can be repaired/enlarged. The kit may only be for an aftermarket downpipe however.

I got the block off plate from rjc, drilled a smaller hole, and it worked.

Thanks for all the advice guys