No boost in first gear only.

Sean Ivy

I recently purchased a 86 T-Type and have noticed no boost in first gear. When the car shifts in all other gears it will boost very quickly and max around 17lbs where I have it set at. What could be the problem? The guy I bought the car from stated it has a Art Carr 2800 stall convertor and I have not noticed any exhaust leaks.

I just took the car out for a spin and it will build 3 to 5lbs of only at wot in first gear.

Te44 turbo,thdp,60lb injectors,tt chip,walbro fuel pump,hot wire kit,adjustable fuel reg,no cat,2.5 inch exhaust and scanmaster. Stock long block and stock intercooler.

My car did the same thing and it was the converter. If you brake torque it does it just sit there and do nothing or will it try to break the tires loose. If I brake torqued mine it just sat there and did nothing. Doing 30mph and stomp on it it went like hell. I had a trans guy drive it and he knew right away. something broke in the converter. I also had a trans do this after getting it rebuilt with a converter. They gave me the wrong converter.It was like a 900rpm converter.That was really a slug hopefully this helps

I have been suspect of the torque convertor and will get it checked out. When I performe a brake torque it does the exact same thing as you describe. If the torque convertor is faulty or wrong do you have any suggestions for a replacement? I drive this car to work every day and my commute is only about 10 minutes.

I pulled the cover off today and the torque convertor had 5's stamped around it. I thinking it has a stock convertor.