No 1-2-3 part throttle shift.

Geoff87

Administrator
Staff member
After a run down the 1/4 last night, the trans will not shift into 2nd at part throttle until the engine revs up considerably. Once in second gear, it would not upshift into 3rd at part throttle. I did not try to increase the speed in order to attemp an upshift. Needless to say, my car & I required a tow to get back home.

I've searched this section for hints as to my dilemma.

Could it be that the governor spring has fallen out?
Does the TV cable need adjustment?
Does the trans need a rebuild?

I had the trans pan off earlier in the day, prior to running the 1/4, in order to replace a defective speedo gear. It required me to take off the governor plate and reinstall the spring, as it had come off when replacing the plastic clip & gear on the assembly. On a side note, the replacement gear that I was sold, gives me an overstated MPH reading. :(

My car has 62,000 miles on it. The trans would frequently chirp into second gear at part throttle.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance for any and all replies.

Geoff

Sounds like gov spring again. bet it popped out. Drop pan and I'll bet you find it.
Bruce
WE4

BTW, What is the "Set-screw" method, in terms of holding the governor spring in? What size/material are used. Is lightening of the weight necessary thereafter? TIA!

Geoff

Hey Geoff, I was just talking to Dean, and he said the same thing, the spring come out. I didn't know you got towed home that night. Hope everything turns out alright. A hui hou

TTT please!

Can anyone provide me with some DETAILED info on using a set screw to keep the governor spring in place? Thanks!

Geoff

Well, I finally got a chance to pull the pan off on my GN. The governor spring did indeed fly off. It was still in the area where the governor is (located behind the plate with four bolts)!

Just need to use the set-screw method now, to keep the spring in place.

Thanks Bruce, and TurboD! :)

Geoff