Nitto not so neatto in the rain #@!$*!!

Sounds like Red Regal T may be trying to "reel someone in here"
His 12.57 seems to be on pump gas. hm.....
And I don't buy that 2.0 60ft. either ;)

I did not think I would get this much response from everyone. I remember way back in the early90'S that my friends father, who had a stock pristine 87 GN said he had no problem in sleet, rain & occasional snow w/studded snow tires.???? I had a Mustang w/ studded snows & never experienced hydroplaneing but when the roads where dry I would slide on the studs when coming to a stop. He also had the original GoodYear Gatorbacks in front. Is any tire better...Granted I love the Fat tires but don't want to be dangerous. Are the BFG's (the regular street tread) any better??? Thanks and keep it slow in the rainQ@#$@#!!!
Bryan:eek:

Sounds like Red Regal T may be trying to "reel someone in here" His 12.57 seems to be on pump gas. hm.....

I know, but pump gas plus alky should be about the same as race fuel with his 24# of boost...

Originally posted by Night Train
Gee Red Regal T, I dunno. Seems like your 12.57 ET is a lot slower than my 12.00 ET with BFG DR and my old TE44... And that was at Bristol last fall at 1400' elevation...

Maybe I could go faster with DRs at the track. :( Don't forget..........I said from a light. You can't heat them up at a light. Well, you can, but you'd look awful funny if the guy your next to takes off nice and slow while you're trying to pull your front wheels off the ground. :D DRs are good for the track but not everyday driving. DRs are no good in the rain. DRs are expensive. My tires cost $93 each, don't wearout in 10,000 miles or less and are W rated which means good to 168 mph which I do all the time. :rolleyes: ;)

I guess I have exactly the opposite opinion of Nittos, John. I think they are great on the street for normal driving wet or dry (and I've even driven in snow with them but that was too much), and they hook great on the street cold, with no burnout at all. I've driven them on 1000 mile each way trips twice (towing a trailer on the way back once), on 400 mile each way trips several times, through all kinds of rain and whatever, and I still think that they are the best street tires I've ever had. I even got 20,000 miles out of the first pair. At the track, even with a big burnout, I barely get traction on a slippery test and tune night (2.0 60's) and only get good 60's (1.75-1.85 which is great for me) when the track is actually prepped. I've sold at least 7 sets for a local store (Radial Tire Warehouse in Silver Spring, MD has the best price in this area), mostly by giving guys rides in my car. Back when I had a 2800 stall D5 converter, I would pull off on the shoulder of a local highway that had fairly fresh asphalt, into the rocks and rubber and whatever, and then do a 5-6 psi launch without spinning when traffic was clear. Oh well, to each his own :).

Hey Carl, I'm glad you've had success with the Nittos. You are right, to each his own. Just thought I'd throw in a little controversy and a alternative to DRs. I never owned Nittos but I've heard some not so good stories. I do hate the price. :eek: You really need to have 16s or 17s to use the Sumitomos anyway. I just bought them by chance and was surprised how well they hooked. ;)

I tried a set of the best Toyo had to offer - the dealer said they were good in rain. I did a 360* in the rain after trying them for a couple monthe & went back to Nitto's. Nittos are expensive, but they hook on the street rain or shine better than anything I've tried. The original BFG 215x65 were almost the worst I tried. I want to keep the original "sleeper" look of the original TR wheels & haven't been able to try a Summoto due to them not having a 15" tire sutible for the TR.
I feel the Nitto's are expensive & am willing to switch, if I find something better. I'm still basically stock & the Nittos do hook on the street.

HEY RedRegalT...do U have ????

I know it's a dumb Q but do you have 16" rims for those tires & if so what kind THANKS.
Bryan:eek: :eek:

I have the M/T'S sportsman pros & I thought they were good in the rain but I guess Ive never had them out in the rain that much..well this last tuesday..2 days ago I had them on my malibu coming back from the track with no wipers & rainging a lil & someone slowed up alot in front of me to get into turning lane & when I applied the gas to go on the car went completly sideways so I didnt panic..just tried my best to drive..if anyone had been in either the slow lane or the turning lane I would have wiped them out..didnt think I was gonna save it..I was going about 50mph also..wasnt too fun..I dont think Ill drive anymore wth them or any other drag type tire anymore..just not worth the risk to me the car or most importantly the innocent people around ya..from now on they will be in my trunk & ill change at the track
Brian

I havent attempted to go over 50 in the rain with my 87 GN. I never go over 50 often anyways, though. I have 275 50 15's. Almost no tread on the bad boys now. Ive never had spin problem with my nittos on at all. My suspension is set up really well to guard against it though, but my 245 60 15 bfg's would turn over for a good block (personal experience) from punching it at 35.

I have been up to 65 on the freeway in the rain with my nittos, no problem. For me the key is not to have my foot in it to much off the line or on the 1-2 2-3 shifts. Other than that there fine in the rain, for me. It's a daily driver too, when they were out I will buy the same again.

HTH,

Ron

ummmm if your lookin for the cheapest tire its the recaps that BGC use to sell.... might have to tape a cat on the rim to balance it BUT they worked awesome an I'd bet Melissa's WE-4 could kick John's butt with them in the RAIN!!!:p