Nitto not so neatto in the rain #@!$*!!

bryguy

BACK IN BLACK !!!
I know a tire of this type is definetely not suposed to be driven in the rain...but sometimes you get caught in the occasional downpour. Anyway I still have tread but just yesterday did my 2nd 360 on the highway after hydroplaining. Very Scary I came real close to other cars and the cement barriers. Thank God I missed everyone and I hate to say it but I was more worried about my car then other drivers then myself. Anyway be careful in the rain. Also are the BFG's anybetter and what about a regular BFG street tire 275 60 15...any comments on tires (not my stupidity) Thanks
Bryan:eek: this was the look on my face even when I got up this morning!!!

If it makes any difference, I'm doing a frame-off resto on my 19,000 mile '87 Limited due to wiping out in a downpour on my BFG's...at 25MPH. Sucks.

Hey QWrench

That really sucks...but like they say hopefully you and everyone else came out in 1 piece. Anyway were those Drag radials like the Nittos I run??? Also don't set your cruise control in the rain cause when you reach a drop in speed the CC will kick it back to your setting and also spool the turbo causing wheel spin in the rain. I guess you just have to baby it home with little or no boost!:eek:
Bryan

Wow, glad to hear there was no contact. My Nitto DR's are better in the wet than the old Goodyear Eagles (almost anything was better than them) and BFG TA Radials in 235/60-15. I've never hydroplaned and I've been in some nasty water at speed. Now TA Radials in 275/50-15 are awful, I hydroplaned a few times and scared myself silly with them, so I got them off the car as soon as I could get the Nittos.

I hear the ET Streets do pretty good.... Oh were talking about in the rain, never mind!:D

Ryan

From my experience, if you think Nitto's DRs are bad, you don't even want to think about BFG's DRs. Even new with damp roads are bad.
Don't even think about using them in the rain.
I have had my Nittos DR in heavy down pour and they did better than my Goodyear Eagles.
Definitely DON'T use cruise with them on damp/rain roads.

Gary

Nittos are decent - but...

I've been running my Nitto 275-50 DR's for almost two years now and have had no problem with them in the rain. However, I will not use the cruise with them on anything other than dry road.

I've heard horror story after horror story about guys with BFG DR's in the rain. I would NOT chance the BFG's on my car at all if there was even the slightest chance I would get caught in a heavy dew with them!:eek:

bryguy, to answer your question...

I was headed home from work (beautiful, sunny summer morning, I'll add). On the way home, I got caught in a horrendous downpour. Like I said, 25MPH (if that), no Cruise set. Went around a very slight, gradual bend in the road. The car literally spun 90 degrees out of whack, and that was it. A loaded semi was coming the other way, so I steered toward the ditch, to avoid simply being CRUSHED by 30 tons of oncoming Kenworth.

B-O-O-H-O-O....smashed header panel, slight bend in front of the pass. side frame rail, shattered both headlight bezels, bumper mounts, shoved the pass. fender into the door. I cried. Big time.

...but it still drove straight as an arrow, after being pulled out of the ditch. No radiator or steering damage. Tough cars, indeed.

Moral of the story...I will never, ever, EVER drive BFG's in the rain. Ever. Even if I have to park it on the side of the road all night.

DITTO THAT!!

Originally posted by Black Car

From my experience, if you think Nitto's DRs are bad, you don't even want to think about BFG's DRs.

Even new with damp roads are bad.

Don't even think about using them in the rain.

I have had my Nittos DR in heavy down pour and they did better than my Goodyear Eagles.

Definitely DON'T use cruise with them on damp/rain roads.

Agree 231%!!

:eek: :) :eek:

I've been contemplating running my BFG drag radials all the time but this thread has changed my mind on that. I need to run some wider tires for sure but I don't want any experiences like that. BTW did you try out the 100 octain from Sunoco or make up your own home brew?

i did get caught in the rain with ET streets and i was barely able to get off the expressway with out any major problems but mind you it was in the heart of the city surronded by city traffic and SUV's flying by like nothing :mad:

I drove 200 miles home from the cruizin OC show because the woman had to go to breakfast with her Mom Sunday morning. It was of course raining the whole way!!!

No problem but I was driving like it was snowing. SLOW in all turns except just before I got home; I wanted to see how bad it really is, I jerked the wheel in an off ramp and it got a bit loose.

That is why women should not be permitted to make the plans.

the only way around not spinning around is practiceing, for me it started off as showing off while i was leaveing my technical school, there was this hill about 1/4 of a mile long and it had the normal crest so the water would run off. i would leave the school and after she spooled i would back off to about 1/2 throttle and walk the car up the hill sideways at 30 mph or so :p when ever i get in to any "trouble" any more i just do it with out even thinking about what im doing, its second nature.

just make sure your right foot aint wet, i strightned out the car one time and when i got her stright i was going just a bit quicker then normal so i taped the brake, my foot sliped off and pened the gas to the floor :eek: she spool instantly and before i could even pull my foot back she had already tryed to go in to 3 directions:eek:

its also a nice way to deture tail gaters:p

welll you cant drive like its dry out with them... My daughter an wife have them both (BFG's an Nitto's) an never had a problem...oh wait a min... the BFG's were a little "hairy" when they were bald in the rain...Melissa would race at the drags an then drive 2 hrs to Lake Ossippe.. I think we got 8k outta each set...well the BFGs got more but they were bald!!! oh ya these are only mid 11 street stockers :p

Humm???
I live in S FL (read DAILY downpours in the summer) and I haven't had a bit of trouble with my 275 60 15 Nittos DR's. Even in the pouring rain on the interstate. AND in street trim, I'm running 412hp and 548 TQ at the rear so I definitely have the power to cause problems.
Maybe I'm just lucky but I haven't even felt a hint of traction loss with them. Of course they only have about 200 miles on them so there are almost new.

Take it easy out there - Terry

Driving in the rain, as with driving in the snow, the wider the tire, the worse the traction. The wider the tire footprint is, the less lb/sq" is exhurted on the ground, allowing the tire to lose traction with the asphalt. That is why the skinier tires get better traction in the rain -- more lb/sq" pushing down on the ground. This is just the opposite of what is needed for dry road traction. I don't care if it is a Nitto, BRG DR or BFG TA. I have driven BFG DRs (275x50x15 and 275x60x15) with full and almost no tread in the rain. Granted they are greasy especially with limited tread left, but it really is a case of driving smart. Also, if it hasn't rained for weeks before you get caught in a shower, the road is definitely greasy from oil residue on the pavement. Driving without thinking will get you in trouble all the time.

Never owned Nittos, but I have driven in the rain with new BFG dragradials. Key may be new with tread.
If I have ET streets or my M&Hs own the car I pull over and call for my trailer or wait it out.
As they say, you can not drive in the rain with most of the tires you describe. NO exceptions.

Originally posted by Night Train
Driving without thinking will get you in trouble all the time.

"I try an think but nothing happens."
Curly Howard

Sorry, I could not refuse :)

I totally concur with your post - even FWD with wide tires in the snow suck where thin FWD tire cars almost go like 4WD!

No Nittos for me! Nittos are pretty good at the track. I see you guys get 1.7s and 1.8s out of them. Meet me at a lite on the street where you can't do a burnout.......me with my 16" Sumitomos HTRZs (W rated street tires) and I'll show you my taillites off the line. :p

Gee Red Regal T, I dunno. Seems like your 12.57 ET is a lot slower than my 12.00 ET with BFG DR and my old TE44... And that was at Bristol last fall at 1400' elevation...