Nitto Drag Radials Dont Hook!

Hey everyone thanks for your help! I think on Friday I will keep messing with different launch techniques. I do drive my car on the street, and the Nittos work good for that, when they forecast rain is the only time I trailer my car to the track. I go caught in the monsoons one evening and the roads were completely flooded.

I learned that they need to be broken in properly, if they are new usually a good 5-8 second burnout and 24 hour cool down time to break them in, the last set I used needed a good burnout to get them nice and hot and they worked ok. way way better than street tires. if they were cold they would spin just like street tires just smoke a whole lot more

It my not be the tires,rim width,shocks,pinion angel,springs,control arms and of course tire pressure all play a part.I had 275-60-15's nitto's on my car and they would get a 1.58 sixty leaving at 8psi of boost and 17psi in the tires.what size rear wheel are you using.what has been done to the suspension.

2.0s shouldn't be the norm...

Nittos like to be HOT. When you do your burnout look in the mirror, when you see SOLID white smoke count to 4 or 5 slowly, get off the brake and roll it out of the box a bit. Don't dry hop it.

Start at 17psi or so in them and see if that helps.

Of all the DRs out there, Nittos bite the least. They're the most driveable in the rain and get the most treadlife. You should still be able to get some pretty easy low 1.7s out of them. Maybe even 1.6s at a good track.

Nittos...... hook so so, last a bit longer as far as DR's are concerned and do the best in the rain

MT.......Hook the best:cool: , not good in the rain and dont last as long.

FWIW the MT compound is softer than their slicks:eek: :cool:

kill4peaceusmc,i think you will be wasting your time with the nitto's.if you want to race a radial tire and hit them as hard as the slick very few drag radials will do that.the setup of the car really will make or brake you,but i would listen to the car,if you are leaving at say 6psi and spinning,then you leave at 3psi and it hooks good,you can work with the tire.now if you leave at 6psi,then 3psi,then 0psi,and the car still spins,change the tire,because your not even in the ballpark.it sounds to me like your not in the ballpark,the mickey's hook great,but i like the hoosier drag radials,i can hit the tire real hard like a slick.if the track is very close to you and you have the time and like playing around then try the nitto.if not ditch them for a tire you can hook and book with;)

problem solved!

100_0832.JPG

28 10.50 15 MT slicks, now she's going to hook!

I have seen several 1.7s in my car, and a buddy with an auto transam went 1.6 on my set of nittos... You must drive these tires like they want to be driven! HOT, and no neck snapping launches, and you MUST have a good suspension setup... your 2.- is NOT the norm, you're just not doing it right :cool:

i'll say MT drag radial is the best out there for street/strip, however, my experience with Nitto's were very good with a best 60' of 1.46 on foot brake with 18 lbs of air pressure (summer time and the car ran 11.40s and no linelock) i can't do it with my MTs. Forget Nittos when it's below 70 degrees it will not hook at all. The best thing is to buy a dedicated street tires and a set of slicks.