Nitrous???

Tucco

Bow Tie Fan
Does nitrous help on these motors? I never hear much about GN's or T's with nitrous. What are the pros and cons?

Nitrous is not necessary. You can turn the boost up and get the same results. I ran NOS before on 2 other Turbo T's. No problems. Looking back, I would of spent the $300 N.O.S. system on other parts.;)

Remember there is still an octane requirment that has to be met with any power adder. So to turn up the boost, you will need octane assistance. Whether it be race gas, propane, water, or alcohol..

HTH

Great,
I didnt know. And didnt want to make any assumption ;) that could hurt your motor.

Yup.. up the boost.. watch the knock.. make the power.

Thanks for the advice! Lots of knowledge in these forums. Thanks for your time and answers!

Tucco

Don't be afraid of nitrous!! Just do not get carried away with it. The secret to running NOS is to have a low timing chip, good fuel pump, and higher octane. The pro's: NOS will provide a big bang for the buck. It is very easy to gain up to 8-10 mph in the 1/4 with a 100 shot of nitrous on these turbo Buicks. The con's: Expense of filling bottle and finding a good low timing chip for your setup. Hope this gives you a brief idea about using nitrous.;)

I agree with BUICKTR. In addition to his points, nitrous goes really well with a turbo motor because a properly installed 100HP system should lower the manifold air temperature between 60-80 degrees. Lower temps give you more power and headroom before detonation, IF your fuel system and ignition are optimized. Nitrous also complements a bigger turbo setup by adding low and mid-range boost, and helping eliminate lag.

A simple MSD retard module that engages when you use the juice will allow you to run normal timing when the juice is off, and automatically pull some (how much depends on 'pill' installed) timing out when you use the juice. Plugs shouldn't need changing again if you keep it to 100 shot, but check em all after you install and test.

Jim

Originally posted by DeltaT
I Lower temps give you more power and headroom before detonation

If your motor is on the edge of detonation, you hit it with NOS.. bang your done. It only cools the air until it hits the back of the intake valve, after that.. fugedaboutit. Nitrous is not a detonation reduction gas.

I like NOS on stock turbo's, running c12 or c16 fuel. You can get a lot of power.. But once you have a big turbo, with the correctly sized converter.. why? just crank the boost and the power is there.

My .02

Lower temps give you more power and headroom before detonation, IF your fuel system and ignition are optimized.

I hear what you're saying, but optimized to me would be enough octane and a smart enough ignition (I used a J&S Safeguard Knock Computer and a MSD Multi-Step Retard) to not stray into detonation.

I think for some people it would be a nice compromise of money (much cheaper per HP, and you only really use it for racing), time (easier to install), and driveability. When you go to a much larger turbo, doesn't it start driving more like a race car?

Jim

Not to steal from Tucco's thread but Is it OK to use Alcohol/water injection and Nitrous? My scenerio is a little different being I'm running an SRT-4 instead of Turbo Buick, but no body is doing this on SRT yet.

I am Alcohol injected cranked up to 20psi. about all my tiny 16g turbo can push out. It drops to about 18psi towards redline. I was wondering how much more I can get out of this by strapping Nitrous on. Later down the road I'll upgrade to bigger Turbo but that is a Pain because of the way my Engine is set up. I have upgraded fuel system so the fuel would not be a problem except I'll probably upgrade the injectors just to be on the safe side.

Just wondering what you guys think. Is it worth the effort

With a little NOS you can get some more out of it, but your small turbo, and perhaps parts of your exhaust, will eventually be an exhaust restriction that will limit gains. I would try a 35 shot, which would add about 50 lb/ft of torque.

Jim

When you go to a much larger turbo, doesn't it start driving more like a race car?

Jim

Yeah..whats your point :D :D

hehe..

;)

With a little NOS you can get some more out of it, but your small turbo, and perhaps parts of your exhaust, will eventually be an exhaust restriction that will limit gains. I would try a 35 shot, which would add about 50 lb/ft of torque.

Jim

Thank you for your information.