Nitrous Bottle goes KAABOOOOMM!!

???????????

WTF does the fact that the bottle valve was off have to do w/ the thermostat not shutting the heater element off at it's set temp??
400*heat takes a BUNCH of electrical current... I'd think the batt would be dead LONG before it raised the bottle temp 400, [or more] degrees... I have first hand experience w/ bottle heaters, and they will kill a batt in a few minutes.. at least ours did...

something else must have happened because NOS by itself is non flammable
Not sure bottle heater alone did that unless it melted off the bottle and fell in the carpet

The tag says that dude is from my county, I wonder why I never heard of this before now....

It can happen. There was a guy who lived here in Mobile that was tranferring Nitrous from one bottle to another using a blowtorch to heat one of them up. While the nitrous wasn't explosive itself, the big bottle blew up and scattered the guy his Camaro and half his shop all over the place.

I had read somewhere that the idiot blocked the burst valve on thh bottle.
A kid in my area was heating a bottle in a sink in his house and it got hot enough to pop the burst valve, His whole house smelled like sulfer for weeks

This artical is at least three years old. I have seen it on the board here before. Steve:D

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
I had read somewhere that the idiot blocked the burst valve on thh bottle.
A kid in my area was heating a bottle in a sink in his house and it got hot enough to pop the burst valve, His whole house smelled like sulfer for weeks

thats why you get medical grade ;)

That is very old. When the bottle was inspected by NX it was found to have the burst valve disabled and the heater was left on overnight.
Mike

Originally posted by Mygn421
This artical is at least three years old. I have seen it on the board here before. Steve:D

:word:

Wasnt that Maxima New when this was posted ;)

That article reminds me of a trip to LVD one year when we saw 2 idiots heating their N2O bottle with a propane torch. Id didn't burst, but just seeing it being done was enough for us to run, not walk, away.

The bottom 2" of the bottle was black from many previous hits with a torch, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the thing ruptured eventually.

Steve

Isn't it:

Pressure = Volume/temp

or

Pressure = temp/volume

Aren't those filled to 2500 psi or something??

Re: ???????????

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
WTF does the fact that the bottle valve was off have to do w/ the thermostat not shutting the heater element off at it's set temp??

The element on the NX bottle heater does not shut off with temp., it shuts off with pressure. The Pressure switch is downstream of the bottle valve, therefore it saw no pressure, so it kept heating up.