Nitrofill tires?

Dfgjerkg

So one of my buddies picked up a pamplet from plaza tire called "Nitrofill". From what I can see in the pamplet they pretty much say Nitrogen filled tires are better in every way over regular oxygen tires. Has anyone heard of these and if so do you think they are worth it?

Not true, nitro is worth it but more so on a daily driver. We put it on all our cars on the lot (in vegas). The difference in air temp swings tire pressure and all tires leak very slowly. Nitrogen has a larger molecule that makes it harder to leak out through rubber so it stays in the tire longer. Also its not as subject to temperature swings as normal air so when the temp changes your air pressure stays basically the same.

Not true, nitro is worth it but more so on a daily driver. We put it on all our cars on the lot (in vegas). The difference in air temp swings tire pressure and all tires leak very slowly. Nitrogen has a larger molecule that makes it harder to leak out through rubber so it stays in the tire longer. Also its not as subject to temperature swings as normal air so when the temp changes your air pressure stays basically the same.

Not arguing with those facts but for the cost of initial fill or a repair of a damaged tire the cost far out weighs the benifits. As an example, my POV has had the same tires on it since Christmas 04 and with regular maintainence they've been on it since then. Over 60K on them so far and still plenty of tread.:biggrin: I use regular compressed air and have never had an issue with tire pressures or tire wear. It may give you .1 or .2 MPG better but the cost per tire versus the benifits just doesn't make it worth while.:smile:

cost? We charge 10 bucks for nitrogen for life in the tires. The MPG benefit and extended life of the tires for running on the right air pressure is definitely worth it

the atmosphere is about 78% nitrogen. I can't imagine that running an additional 22% nitrogen would be that much benefit. air's been working in tires for over 100 years. I'm sure it will continue that way.

im not dogging anybody who uses it, just my opinion

IMO, the biggest advantage of nitrogen for a regular street application is that it's dry. You don't get humidity and water from a crappy compressor system in the tire, which could help reduce corrosion of the rim over time.

I don't buy the MPG claims at all.

The MPG claims only apply to people who don't keep an eye on their air pressure that often. Nitrogen is less susceptible to weather changes so the air pressure stays more consistent, thats all.

I'm gonna fill mine with hydrogen to make the car lighter :D

the Mythbusters tried that.. well, they used helium and found no benefit.

people think that nitrogen will work wonders on their cars because that's what the NASCAR teams use.. but they aren't driving a NASCAR racecar at sustained 200mph speeds..

according to the periodic table of elements- a cool version of which can be found here- nitrogen is a lighter element than oxygen, which is the gas that makes up most of the 22% of the atmosphere that isn't nitrogen. the next lightest gas is helium.. lighter means smaller molecules, which means it can escape thru the molecular structure tire faster than just regular air..

I heard its good a buddy of mine said he put the nitrogen in the tires if a tahoe and a el camino and said he's getting better mileage and seemed like it rode more smoother ...

the Mythbusters tried that.. well, they used helium and found no benefit.

With their propensity toward explosions I'm suprised they didn't use hydrogen.

Yea but Helium's Atomic weight is 2. Hydrogen is 1. That makes all the difference. :D

I heard its good a buddy of mine said he put the nitrogen in the tires if a tahoe and a el camino and said he's getting better mileage and seemed like it rode more smoother ...

I am guessing he's getting better mileage and ride because his tires were filled out of spec before the switch to nitro. :)

my sister has it in her dd and she is always going to get them topped off. i think they (costco) dont have nitrogen.....

In a severe use application such as road racing nitrogen adds consistency. in an every day driver application it is useless. It is a gimmick.

Im on both sides of the coin on this one. A tire that leaks, leaks no matter what is in it. Including racing tires.

Do what you want, its your money.

Im pretty sure if you could fill a tire with farts, there would be some measurable difference good or bad.

The key to nitrogen is there is no moisture introduced into the tire. Moisture is what destroys the tire from the inside out.

The tires dont dry rot like air in the tires and i got 95,000 miles out of my 90,000 warranty michelin hydroedge tires.

I discussed this topic at length with the Tire and Wheel experts at the GM Proving Grounds. Nitrogen fill is marketing fluff!!!!

If you understand the Ideal Gas Law: PV=nrT, you would know that ALL gasses change their pressure with change in temperature. Nitrogen acts the same as any other gas!!!

It doesn't matter if you fill the tire with 70% nitrogen (atmospheric air) or 100% nitrogen. The tire pressure will change approximately 1 psi for every 10 degrees temp change.

While it is true that nitrogen molecules are larger than say oxygen or carbon dioxide, The ONLY plausible advantage to using pure nitrogen as a tire fill is that you might be able to reduce the oxidation that could occur from the inside of the tire.