Nice sleeper article with GN mentioned on GM-EFI

Why, it's still only a peg leg car. 200hp or 2000 hp, only about 160 or so can ever be planted. Wrong wheel drive cars aren't meant to be modded, sorry. I tried lol. By the time you're done, you could have bought a G8 or something similar. Not worth the hassle. And you'd have to re-paint it too. :( It's too bad because they're solid cars, and really good looking too.
It's not about what you could have bought. It's about what interests you and what you can afford up front.

By the time you pay off your house you could have bought a much larger house.

Brother smack I was just curious if there was a known weak part or parts that could be upgraded so current or future owners of these cars could continue to enjoy them.

M11255.4.jpg
I'd be happy to help. Overall, in all my car ownership I'd have to say that when stock, these cars are pretty dam reliable actually. I was suprised. If you took care of them they were solid like safes. The engine is build like a brick shithouse. The transmission (when stock again) is smooth and quick to shift, but when you start modding, the diff and trans become the weak link. There are two known diff replacements that we were aware of back then (5 years ago) the Quaife from the UK, and GM torsen. From my understanding the Quiafe is still procurable but it's like a unicorn. The torsen if I can remember correctly ceased production for some reason. You can't really buy them anymore. The transmission that most of used did indeed come from Triple Edge, and I believe their main supplier was Intense Racing out of Ohio.
Like our G bodies, these cars had weak links from the factory as well. If you're going to own one just to drive, do the aluminum coolant elbows, true cai, U-bend delete, a 160 thermostat and go. These cars weren't intercooled, and their factory blowers kinda heated up that air pretty bad. If you run her a little cooler like this, along with 93 octane in it, they'll run nice. But remember, they're more of a roll racer car than a stoplight car like our g bodies. They have ZERO traction, and will require true slicks to do that with. But then now you're going to be dealing with transaxle problems again. I've run the widest, softest tires I could get on the stock rims, and it did nothing-235 wide Nittos. Made no difference. They are definitely traction limited. Torque steer/bump steer. You have no clue about what you think you know about torque steer until you drive a modded W body lol. There are ways to help keep it under control but it was still horrible in that car. I'm super anal though, and if you're not, it may be ok for you. The other weak link was the exhaust manifolds. They really restrict the car, and make it heat up too because of that. Headers are nice not only for performance, but to just let the car do what it's supposed to do. The U-bend underneath the car where the oxygen sensor sits is also a massive restriction. Super cheap and easy to replace that with a straight pipe though. The little mods here and there really let the factory 3.8" supercharger pulley do what it was designed to do, without all the restrictions. I had pretty much all the bolt ons you could bolt on to this car, and had pretty much the two best tuners in the state tune it, and they still couldn't tune it with no knock. Then my 2nd gear went out, then the dreaded switch over to water based paint in the mid 90's paint flaking debacle started and that was it for me. I put in a new trans and decided to keep on keeping on, but when the paint started I was done. I won't drive a ghetto looking car & I wasn't going to paint it.
Other than being wrong wheel drive, I miss that car bad. Even moreso now after driving 5 more cars past that. That Regal, despite it's shortcomingings, was soo much better than these new Toyotas, Taurus, Impreza, Chrylser 200s et. al. It was quieter inside, MUCH faster throttle response/shifting (NOT ACCELERATION, throttle response) more solid, and more comfortable. It was better looking to in my opinion. It was classy and aerodynamic. And suprised a LOT of people on the highway lol. To let you know what they're capable of, I was at the track for the last time of the year this year, and my tuner Ryan Carter was there with one of his buddies, coaching him on how to track an old beat up 98 gtp. This car had a lot of miles on it, was rode hard and put away wet. BONE stock. Ryan threw one of his tunes on it, and on street tires, I've no idea how, that kid was running 14.2 quarter mile times. I've no idea how, but he was. You throw the bolt ons on, and this car will suprise the shit out of you. For how long? Only the crystal ball can tell you that unfortunately.

So, weak links that I can think of off the top of my head are coolant elbows, running a little hot, transaxle/diff, torque steer, lower intake manifold gaskets, U-bend, and paint. The elbows, t-stat & u-bend are super cheap & easy. The rest? That's on you.

p.s. had to add this in here. when i met my wife, she thought "o god, a buick. granpas car." she thought it was a really nice car, but that was it. then one day I told her i'm going out on the local strip & she said to do what? I said to race honey lol. she said in what? my gs lol. she was like ok. I hit the gas & she almost shat herself lol. i'll never forget this. she said she had no CLUE what happened lol. one minute were doin 30, the next minute she hears the supercharger wine & shes pinned to the back of her seat freakin out lol. she's like what the hells in this thing??? I said it's supercharged man lol. you think i'd drive a non forced induction car? you kidding me lol? nooww you know what a sleeper is. :) this was mine.

Last edited:
What Smack said...

I have gone through 3 of them and who knows I might buy another one of these days. The Tranny is the biggest weak link but for about 2K TEP does a hellva job. The last one I had on a 75 shot went 12.32 @ 110mph coasting through the traps that was the best pass we (my son) ever had on the car on that pass he was driving chasing me in the GN at Noble a few years ago. There is a vid on youtube.

But these are great cars! I do miss mine too.

98GS.jpg

It's not about what you could have bought. It's about what interests you and what you can afford up front.

By the time you pay off your house you could have bought a much larger house.

Agreed, let's just put it this way, in 2005 I didn't buy a GS because it was the most horsepower. It was affordable for my income at the time and the 4 doors were necessary. Banks weren't exactly financing GNs or fox body Mustangs at the time and I still needed to get to work, then I threw in some simple mods to enjoy the vehicle more. Most of us who have owned W or H bodies weren't thinking drag strip when we were buying it more like getting to work and toting kids around. The family car and drag car had to be the same. When the time came time that I had cash in hand to buy a toy, I did. I just needed something to fill the gap until then.

Keep it up Rick great site... and how about some more updates on that sleeper GS? :)

We just published Part 2.5 a couple of weeks ago. Nobody was satisfied with our times, not even us, from the previous story. So we hit the track again and dropped three tenths. Now comes the part where we really start tearing into this thing... We should have another update for you in a few weeks. In the meantime, we're also keeping busy with our Silverado build, we have a quickie update on our Grand National coming very soon (nothing major at all, honestly, but necessary), and two F-body projects to introduce! Maybe another car, too, if everything goes as planned... Something a little more on the "higher-end." ;)

Why, it's still only a peg leg car. 200hp or 2000 hp, only about 160 or so can ever be planted. Wrong wheel drive cars aren't meant to be modded, sorry. I tried lol. By the time you're done, you could have bought a G8 or something similar. Not worth the hassle. And you'd have to re-paint it too. :( It's too bad because they're solid cars, and really good looking too.

We admit, there are definitely better vehicles to choose from than an old W-body; whether you're into drag racing, autocross, road racing... whatever. But we took on the project for four reasons:

1.) We dig them.

2.) It literally fell into our lap. A freelancer's best friend picked it up as a (very) cheap daily-driver. Since nobody in the magazine world has built a Regal GS as a project car in the past, including the departed GMHTP, we had to grab it.

3.) As a result of many of them being so cheap - like, 2002 Cavalier cheap, there's going to be a new breed of clever gearheads wanting to scoop them up and put in some wrench time. This series will provide them with the information they'll need along the way.

4.) Because why not? Everybody else is beating their reader's over the heads with Mustangs and Camaros, let's try something new (old?).