Nice sleeper article with GN mentioned on GM-EFI

My wife has a GTP with a smaller pulley , and it is a quick 4 door. Would like to do some more mods to it down the road.

My wife had a 02 Regal, just couldn't keep a trans in it. Pulley, injectors, pump, cold air kit and flashed ECM didn't help. But surprised a bunch of unsuspecting kiddies looking to pick on a soccer mom's car.

I had a '99 Regal GS with a ported TB, fender well intake, ZZP coupler, 3.4" pulley, tune, shift kit, and resonator delete. Fun as hell from a roll, quiet, comfy, sleeper, but in the long run it was a POS. Trans acted up, climate control circuit board would have issues with resistors, power window issues, and one time the crank sensor acted up and sent timing to 35 degrees at full boost. The detonation took out 2 spark plug electrodes. To my surprise the motor was not hurt. I checked it with a scope and the ringlands were in tact and valves were fine. Also sucky being wrong wheel drive.

Being front wheel drive is what killed it for me. If they would have put in a better transmission and rear wheel drive it would have changed the game.

002sml.jpg
100_0101sml.jpg

It doesn't take much. Open airbox, exhaust, smaller pully then update the computer accordingly and bam it gave me 288 FWHP (haha) AND my gas milage actually went up 3-4 mpg on the highway.

Being front wheel drive is what killed it for me. If they would have put in a better transmission and rear wheel drive it would have changed the game.

^ Couldn't agree more. Why start out with such a disadvantage is what I always heard from the Fbody Guys. I brought it to a Mustang dyno day when I lived in SC and they though it was funny when I backed into the dyno barn. I did like the car though, ended up with 188K (approx. 120K was after the mods) and sold it for a song.

WildGS built a pretty wicked GS which I believe he still has.

Great site GM-EFI, good reads!!!

View attachment 239568 View attachment 239569
It doesn't take much. Open airbox, exhaust, smaller pully then update the computer accordingly and bam it gave me 288 FWHP (haha) AND my gas milage actually went up 3-4 mpg on the highway.

^ Couldn't agree more. Why start out with such a disadvantage is what I always heard from the Fbody Guys. I brought it to a Mustang dyno day when I lived in SC and they though it was funny when I backed into the dyno barn. I did like the car though, ended up with 188K (approx. 120K was after the mods) and sold it for a song.

WildGS built a pretty wicked GS which I believe he still has.

Great site GM-EFI, good reads!!!

Thanks!!

We realize that modifying the 3800 Series II/III W-bodies isn't anything new at all, but it's been eons since a magazine has picked one up for a project.

When this '00 Regal GS fell into our lap for a song, we couldn't help but delve headfirst into modifying the thing. Plus, if we mange to reach out to the younger generation who weren't old enough to remember when these cars were new, then it's all the better. ;)

BTW, I'd love to learn more about yours - send me some info on it to Rick.Seitz@GM-EFI.com. I'd like to run it for this month's Reader's Ride article.

Noticed when the website started but forgot it existed. Looks like I need to bookmark it! Nice articles just scanning around so far.

A lot of the annoying stuff with L67's go away when you throw it in a RWD car. Best thing I did.

... A lot of the annoying stuff with L67's go away when you throw it in a RWD car. Best thing I did.

Great application for that setup ... considering all the L36 (N/A 3800) mounts, exhaust, ect is standard for the V6 Birds. Only the firewall and intake ducting is the snag. But it looks like you have that figured out.

- We'll be in touch Rick. By the way a buddy of mine had a Sunset Orange Metallic '02 WS6, Great car!

-Greg

i drove an 01 GTP for a year and a half... good car, with just the right amount of power that also got 30mpg if i wanted it to.. also did really good in the snow. i did have some fun at the expense of a kid in an identical looking GP GT at a stop light once- i guess i should have been nice and left the GTP badges on the doors and maybe he wouldn't have tried to impress the girl in the car with him..
i did block off the grille for better aero and ran 0W-30 synthetic oil in it to make it more efficient, but i never once thought about trying to make it faster- it was, after all, a 4 door fwd car. traded it for a 97 Chevy pickup, and don't regret the trade at all.

Loved my white '98 GS, but would LOVE a black '03 GSX. But yea, the wrong wheel drive killed it for me. Then the paint screwups the auto makers had with them back then was a killer too. When my immaculate white paint started to flake, I was out. Even though it was a reliable car, with a KILLER engine, I'm not spending 5 grand on painting a 15 year old car. Screw that. If it had been rear wheel drive I would have though. But not only was there ZERO traction, but the transmission wasn't that durable either. Mine went at 90,000 or so. :(
Regardless, if it had been RWD, I'd have kept it, put in a bullet proof Intense transmission or whoever, and painted it. That supercharged L67 was a KILLER engine. It was my training aid engine in engine class, and I got to know it really well. The thing's a beast, period, and would DESTROY ANY stage motors we put into our G bodies. You drop a main cap on your toe with tennis shoes on, and you're going home for the day lol. Loved that motor but I just can't do wrong wheel drive a day longer.

What can be done to make these transmissions live with mods and spirited driving?

Why, it's still only a peg leg car. 200hp or 2000 hp, only about 160 or so can ever be planted. Wrong wheel drive cars aren't meant to be modded, sorry. I tried lol. By the time you're done, you could have bought a G8 or something similar. Not worth the hassle. And you'd have to re-paint it too. :( It's too bad because they're solid cars, and really good looking too.