NHRA rule question on windows

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
Is tint allowed or not?

I thought I read somewhere it wasnt allowed. True?

Windshield/window tint must meet the applicable government requirements.

Thats means its ok? :confused:

I've had tinted windows on my GN since 1988 and I was never told anything at NHRA sanctioned tracks...

Claude.

Consider it a safety issue. Would you like to have some yahoo on the track with you and he's got limo tint on the front windows? It shouldn'te be a problem if the tint is light enough to see through easily. Besides, in the event of a wreck it would help keep the side windows from shattering and throwing glass all over the place.

I believe it is NOT legal but most tracks don't care. That being said I pulled all the tint off mine a few years back as it was getting hard to see out at night. My night vision is not at all what it used to be & I usually go to the track on friday nights.

John

You need to be visible to the track officials at a minimum. If they can't see you, and that you're wearing the proper safety equipment, etc, then you can expect something to be said. Otherwise I have never seen tinting made into an issue. :cool:

Years ago, And I mean years ago around 1989 or 1990 a bubby and me went to SIR (Seattle Int. Raceway) to race on a Friday night TNT with are 70 Chevelle SS's. Well my buddy had tinted windows and before the tech guy would let him race he had to pull the tint off the driver and passenger door windows. Now I've never seen it happen to anyone since. If the tech guy is in a bad mood or if you just broke up with his sister, watch out..............was '89 and '90 really that long ago, it just seems like yesterday.

re tech & tint on windows

:cool:I run IHRA with my MONTY SS<the windows are blacked right out,except the front,i have never ever had a problem with any of the techs!!

boy, that would really suck if this was an issue... my windows are all 20%!!